Spinach curry with sweet corn, soya chunks, coconut and almond.
A delicious creamy thick curry. You can serve it with any bread. Easy to make and perfect side dish for your lunch or dinner.
In my earlier posts we have discussed about the health benefits of spinach, corn and soya chunks. So this time talking about only taste. This lip-smacking curry is lightly flavoured with cardamom, cinnamon and cloves. Almonds made the curry thick and creamy. You can use cashew nuts instead.
You may like some more spinach recipes here.
1. Dal palak
2. Palak raita
3. Green gram carrot spinach soup
4. Spinach carrot bean beet and almond soup
5. Dairy free green smoothie
Our this week’s 171 #Foodiemonday bloghop theme is #saagsaga. Kriti suggested this beautiful theme. We have to share any leafy green or saag recipe. My contribution is this delicious spinach curry with corn, soya chunks, coconut and almond.
Lip-smacking spinach curry with all the goodness of sweet corn, soya, coconut and almond.
Spinach or palak – 200 gram
Sweet corn – 1 cup, boiled
Soya chunks – 1/2 cup
Onion – 1, finely chopped
Tomato – 2, chopped
Garlic – 3 – 4 cloves
Ginger – 1 inch piece
Green chilli – 2 – 3
Coconut – 3 tablespoon, grated or finely chopped
Almond – 13 – 14
Green cardamom – 2
Cinnamon – 1/2 inch piece
Cloves – 2
Cumin powder – 1 teaspoon
Coriander powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
Garam masala powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Salt to taste
Oil – 2 – 3 tablespoon
1. Clean and wash the spinach. Discard the stem. Take the leaves only.
2. Heat 3 cup water with 1/4 teaspoon salt in a pan.
When it starts to rolling boil add spinach leaves in it.
3. Boil for 2 – 3 minutes. Switch off the heat and immediately drain the water.
4. Keep ice cold water ready. Dip the spinach in ice cold water immediately to retain the green colour.
5. Grind the spinach into a smooth paste. Add very little water if require.
6. Soak almonds in hot water or microwave for 1 minute with little water.
7. Let it cool down. Peel and keep aside.
8. Boil the soya chunks with 2 cup water and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Boil for 1 – 2 minutes.
9. When it cool down drain the water, squeeze and wash with fresh water.
Squeeze well and keep aside.
10. Grind peeled almonds, tomato, green chilli, garlic, coconut, green cardamom, cinnamon and cloves. Make a smooth paste.
11. Heat 2 tablespoon oil in a pan. You can use butter or half oil half butter.
12. Add finely chopped onion. Fry the onion till onion becomes light brown.
13. Now add almond, coconut, ginger, garlic, chilli, tomato, cardamom, cinnamon and cloves paste.
14. Saute and add salt, cumin powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder and garam masala powder. Saute till the mixture dried up and leaves oil.
15. Add squeezed soya chunks and mix well. Saute for 1 minute more and add boiled sweet corn.
16. Mix well and add spinach puree.
Add 1 cup water and mix well.
17. When it starts to boil reduce the heat. Cook on simmer for 6 – 7 minutes. Stir occasionally.
18. Taste and adjust the seasoning. You can add 1/4 cup water if the gravy is too thick but don’t add more.
19. If you are adding water boil for few seconds on high heat.
20. Remove from heat. You can add 1 – 2 tablespoon cream if you want. I didn’t.
21. Your spinach curry with corn, soya chunks and coconut is ready. Garnish with boiled sweet corn, tomato and onion slices.
22. Serve hot with pulao, jeera rice, steamed rice, roti, paratha, puri, naan, tandoori roti, crisp toasted bread or any bread.
1. Add chilli according to your taste. Add 1 green chilli or skip the chilli if you are making it for kids. Or add more green chilli if you want your curry more spicy.
2. You can use cashew nuts instead of almonds.
3. You can also add paneer or cottage cheese pieces in the curry. Or you can use paneer or mushrooms instead of corn and soya chunks.
4. You can use butter instead of oil, add little oil with butter to avoid burning.
5. If you like you can add 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed kasuri methi or dried fenugreek leaves at the end.
If you tried my recipe, you can share your food pictures with me in the social network sites by using hash tag, #batterupwithsujata
I would love to see your creations.
I would love to hear from you. Please share your thoughts and suggestions in comment.
Please visit my facebook page and hit the like button to get the latest update