Lemon coconut rice with kaffir lime leaves. A delicious aromatic rice to serve with any spicy curry. Fragrant Kaffir lime leaves infused rice taste divine. And coconut milk gives a rich buttery flavour. Recipe is very simple and easy and completely gluten free and dairy free. You don’t need ghee or clarified butter to make this fragrant rich buttery luscious rice.
Kaffir lime leaves called gondhoraj lebur pata in Bengali. Earlier shared a delicious Cake with Kaffir lime. Click here for the recipe.
Citrus hystrix, called the kaffir lime or makrut lime, is a citrus fruit native to tropical Southeast Asia. Its fruit and leaves are used in Southeast Asian cuisine and its essential oil is used in perfumery. Its rind and crushed leaves emit an intense citrus fragrance. Wikipedia
Did you know that Kaffir lime leaves are super healthy for you? Read on to learn the 6 top health benefits of Kaffir leaves.
1. Stress, Stress Go Away
2. Bad Breath No More
3. No Bacteria Allowed
4. Get Healthy, Glowing Skin
5. Protect Your Mane
6. Buzz Off!
To read more health benefits of Kaffir lime leaves Click here.
Recipe is very easy and simple. You don’t need much spices for this fragrant rice. I have used sweet corn and green peas but you can use any vegetable of your choice. And add green chilli according to your taste. You can skip chilli if you are making for kids. If you don’t have have Kaffir lime leaves then use 1/2 to 1 teaspoon lemon zest.
Subscribe with your mail address to get all the recipes straight to your mailbox immediately after publishing.
Video recipe of this fragrant creamy rice
Basmati rice – 1 cup
Kaffir lime leaves – 2
Lemon juice – 1 tablespoon
Ginger – 1 inch piece, grated
Green chilli – 1-2, finely chopped
Onion – 1 sliced
Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
Green peas – 1/4 cup
Sweet corn – 1/4 cup
Cilantro or coriander leaves – 2-3 tablespoon
Coconut milk – 1 cup
Water – 1 cup
Salt to taste
Oil – 2 tablespoon
1. Rinse the rice 4-5 times or till water runs out clear. Soak the rice in water for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes drain the water and keep aside.
2. Heat oil in a wok. You can also use pressure cooker if you want. Add cumin seeds. When seeds starts to splutter add sliced onion and finely chopped green chilli. Fry till onion becomes translucent.
3. Add grated ginger and fry till onion becomes brown. Onion shouldn’t be burnt.
4. Add green peas and sweet corn. Saute for a minute. Add chopped cilantro or coriander leaves and mix.
5. Add soaked and drained rice. Saute for 2 minutes. Add salt and mix.
6. Add coconut milk and water. If you are using pressure cooker add half cup water. Tear both Kaffir lime leaves into two pieces and add in the rice. Also add lemon juice and mix well. Let it boil.
7. When it starts to rolling boil reduce the heat. Cover and cook on simmer for 10 minutes.
8. After 10 minutes gently stir the rice and cover again. Cook for five minutes on simmer. Now switch off the heat. Remove the cover and fluff the rice gently.
9. Cover again and serve after 10 minutes. Serve aromatic rice with any spicy curry.
1. You can use lemon zest instead of Kaffir lime leaves.
2. Use any vegetables of your choice.
If you tried my recipe, you can share your food pictures with me in the social network sites by using hashtag #batterupwithsujata.
I would love to hear from you. Please share your thoughts and suggestions in comment.
Please visit my facebook page and hit the like button to get the latest update