Semolina or suji quesadilla. You can name it Indian style quesadilla. Quesadilla is a Mexican dish made of tortilla. But here is a breakfast Quesadilla made with suji pancake or our humble suji chilla. A perfect kids friendly breakfast dish. You can make any veg or non veg stuffing instead of potatoes with lots of cheese. Kids will love the taste.
A quesadilla is a Mexican dish consisting of a tortilla that is filled primarily with cheese, and sometimes meats, spices, and other fillings, and then cooked on a griddle or stove. Traditionally, a corn tortilla is used, but it can also be made with a flour tortilla. A full quesadilla is made with two tortillas that hold a layer of cheese between them. A half is a single tortilla that has been filled with cheese and folded into a half-moon shape. Wikipedia
As I mentioned above you can make any filling of your choice. I have made a creamy stuffing with boiled potatoes, mayonnaise, some sauce, oregano and cheese. You can use any herbs and lots of mozzarella cheese. Your kids will love the taste. You can also use grated vegetables or paneer in the stuffing. You can also use any sauce of your choice instead of pizza sauce.
I like the taste of sriracha sauce but if you don’t have sriracha sauce then you can use any chilli garlic sauce. You can also use leftover roti instead of suji chilla. See the video recipe below of this roti quesadilla.
Subscribe with your mail address to get all the recipes straight to your mailbox immediately after publishing.
Watch the video recipe below
Potato- 4 medium, boiled
Mayonnaise – 1/3 cup
Pizza sauce – 3 tablespoon
Oregano – 1 teaspoon
Tomato sauce – 2 tablespoon
Sriracha sauce – 1 tablespoon
Cheese cube – 2
Salt – 1/4 teaspoon or to taste
For chila or pancake
Semolina or suji – 1 cup
Rice flour – 1/2 cup
Curd or yogurt – 1/2 cup
Salt to taste
Chilli flakes – 1/2 teaspoon
Cilantro or coriander leaves – 2-3 tablespoon, chopped
Water – 1 cup
Oil as required
Cheese slices or mozzarella cheese as required
1. In a large bowl mix suji or semolina, rice flour and curd or yogurt. Add water slowly and mix well. Don’t add entire water in one go. Add 1/4 cup at a time. Mix everything well and make a lump free smooth batter.
2. Now add salt, chilli flakes and chopped cilantro or coriander leaves. Mix well. Cover the bowl and keep aside.
3. Peel and grate the potatoes. Grate the cheese cubes and mix with potatoes. You can use more cheese cubes if you want.
4. Add salt, oregano, sriracha sauce, mayonnaise, tomato ketchup and pizza sauce. Mix well. Your stuffing is ready. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Add little more sauce and mayonnaise if required. Add less or more sauce according to your taste.
5. You can use any chilli garlic sauce if you don’t have sriracha sauce. You can add finely chopped onion in potato mixture if you want. You can also make sandwiches with this potato mixture.
6. Heat a pan or skillet. Brush with little oil. Pour a ladle full of batter in the middle. Spread with the back of the ladle by rotating. Reduce the heat and cook on low heat. Drizzle little oil on the sides.
7. When the edges becomes brown flip the chila upside down and fry the other side too. Remove the chilla or pancake on a plate. Make one more pancake like this.
8. Spread potato mixture all over the pancake. Spread small pieces of cheese slice over the potato mixture. You can also use grated mozzarella cheese. Use as much cheese as you like.
9. Place another pancake over it and flip carefully. Drizzle little oil on the sides. Press gently with a spatula. Fry both the sides till golden brown. Remove on a plate and cut into four pieces with a knife or pizza cutter. Serve hot with any sauce.
10..You can also use leftover roti instead of chilla or pancake to make this delicious Indian style quesadilla. Do you have any leftover stuffing? Make sandwiches with it. It will be a delicious sandwich filling.
1. You can use any flour in chilla or pancake. But don’t skip rice flour. Rice flour will make your quesadilla crisp.
2. You can use any sauce of your choice in stuffing.
3. Grated carrot, capsicum, bell peppers, boiled sweet corn or any vegetable or paneer can be used in stuffing.
4. If your kids love cheesy stuffing then add more cheese. Use as much cheese as you like.
If you tried my recipe, you can share your food pictures with me in the social network sites by using hashtag, #batterupwithsujata I would love to see your creations.
I would love to hear from you. Please share your thoughts and suggestions in comment.
Please visit my facebook page and hit the like button to get the latest update