Masala paniyaram or appe. A delicious and cute looking snack or breakfast dish with only a few drops of oil. Earlier shared some easy and quick instant appe recipe. Now sharing authentic recipe of appe or masala paniyaram. You need only thick grain rice and black lentils or udad dal with some spices to make this delicious appe/kuzhi paniyaram or paddu.
You can also use leftover fermented idli or dosa batter to make appe.
Paddu is an Indian dish made by steaming batter using a mould. It is named variously kuzhi paniyaram, paniyaram, paddu, guliyappa, yeriyappa, gundponglu, gunta ponganalu, or Tulu: appadadde, appe. The batter is made of black lentils and rice and is similar in composition to the batter used to make idli and dosa. Wikipedia
My Family members and friends love these appe as breakfast or snacks. I got this recipe 7-8 years ago from my friend Keerti Gupta. Now she is just like my younger sister. We met in a food group. That time I was a novice in food photography and writing recipes. I started to share my diabetic friendly innovative recipes whatever I tried for my husband. I love the way Keerti shared her recipes and interact with other group members. She always supports me and gave all the tips and tricks to click and write down the recipes. Now she is not active on social media but we are still connected with each other. I am very happy today to sharing her recipe on my blog. Thanks Keerti for the recipe.
Copy pasting Keerti’s words here. “The authentic recipe looks little cumbersome but trust me this gonna taste heaven.” So friends try and enjoy these delicious cuties as snacks or breakfast.
You may like some instant appe recipes on this blog.
Monday again and this week’s 305 #Foodiemonday bloghop theme is Monsoon Snacks suggested by Sasmita Sahoo Samanta who blog at First Timer Cook. You can get numerous delicious recipes on her space like Jamun coconut panna cotta and many more.
My contribution for this theme is this healthy and yummy masala paniyaram. You need thick rice or mota chawal or idli rice to make these appe. But sometimes I also used regular Basmati rice if thick rice or idli rice was not available. But now its always available in local grocery store. You have to soak rice and split black lentils or udad dal overnight and grind in the morning. Let it ferment till evening and make the paniyaram for evening snacks. Or you can soak rice and lentil in the morning and grind in evening. Ferment overnight and your batter will ready for breakfast. You can half the ingredients if you want. Rice:dal ratio should be 1:1/3. You need only a drop of oil for each appe and after flipping no oil required for cooking other side.
Thick rice/mota chawal or idli rice – 3 cup
Black lentils or udad dal – 1 cup
Salt to taste
Cilantro or coriander – handful, chopped
Green chilli – 3-4 or to taste, finely chopped
Ginger – 1 inch piece, grated or paste
Grated Coconut – 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup, optional
Mustard seeds or rai as require
Vegetable oil as require
Curry leaves – 1 tablespoon, finely chopped
1. Wash & soak dal and rice separately for atleast for 5 hours or overnight. I have used split black lentils or udad dal.
2. First grind dal with little water to a smooth paste and in the same jar grind the rice with just enough water.
3. In a large bowl mix ground rice, udad dal or black lentils and salt. Mix well and cover with a lid (not an airtight lid). Leave it overnight to ferment. You can keep it in your switched off microwave oven. Batter will rise after ferment so don’t fill the bowl. Fill half of the bowl only or batter will be spilled out of the bowl after ferment.
4. In the morning the batter should be raised but in case it doesn’t add a teaspoon of Eno fruit salt just before pouring them in Paniyaram Pan. If the batter has raised, dont use eno.
5. Add chopped cilantro or coriander leaves, green chilli, ginger, chopped curry leaves and coconut if using. Mix well.
6. Heat a appe or paniyaram pan on high flame. Now simmer the flame and pour one drop of oil in each slot.
7. Sprinkle a pinch of rai. When the seeds starts to splutter start pouring Paniyaram batter in every holes. Flame should be sim.
8. After filling all the holes close the pan with a lid & Increase the flame to low medium. Dont ever put it on high.Let it cook for 3-4 minutes, checking occasionally. Remember the slots in middle cook faster than others.
7. When appe becomes nicely browned, flip them with fork or spoon or wooden stick. After flipping dont cover.
8. Cook on low medium heat. This side will take more time than the previous one so please be patient. If u increase the flame they will burn and remain raw from inside.
9. Now your masala paniyaram is ready. Serve with any chutney or sauce of your choice.
1. If batter doesnt rise overnight add a teaspoon of Eno right before you pour the batter in pan.
2. You can add grated carrot, onion or any vegetable of your choice.
3. You need only a drop of oil. After flipping the appe or paniyaram you don’t need need to add oil again.
4. Patience is the key, dont leave the sight else it will be a mess. Better to cook on low heat for crisp outside paniyaram.
5. Paniyarams taste best when hot.
If you tried my recipe, you can share your food pictures with me in the social network sites by using hashtag, #batterupwithsujata I would love to see your creations.
I would love to hear from you. Please share your thoughts and suggestions in comment.
Please visit my facebook page and hit the like button to get the latest update