Carrot peas instant appe or paniyaram. You don’t need to soak grind and ferment the batter to make this appe. A spicy and delectable snack without much oil. So you can call it a healthy treat for health conscious people. These low calorie fritters can be served with any chutney or sauce.
Kuzhi paniyaram, or Paddu/GuLiyappa/Yeriyappa/Gundponglu or Gunta Ponganalu or Tulu : “appadadde” is an Indian dish made by steaming batter using a mould. The batter is made of black lentils and rice and is similar in composition to the batter used to make idli and dosa.The dish can also be made spicy or sweet depending on the ingredients Chillies and jaggery respectively. Paniyaram is made on a special pan that comes with multiple small fissures. Source
This carrot peas appe taste absolutely delicious. These round ball like appe are crisp from outside and soft inside. You will love the taste and texture. Semolina or suji appe are hot favourite amongst my family members. So I always try to make this with different ingredients. You may like some more easy apple recipes on this blog. Click on the name below for recipe.
Linking this post to 285 #Foodiemonday bloghop theme is Paniyaram Pan Magic suggested by Priya Vijaykrishnan who blog at Sweet Spicy Tasty. Her blog is really a treasure of different types of sweet spicy tasty recipes. I love her South Indian recipes as well as international recipes. I have to try her Aloo frankie Kathi roll soon.
I have added sauteed ground green peas and grated carrot with ginger and green chilli in the semolina batter. Green peas and carrot enhance the flavour and taste. I have used 1/2 cup green peas but you can use one cup peas if you like. Just increase the spices accordingly if you are using more green peas. You can also use any grated vegetables of your choice. Add all the grated or finely chopped vegetables with carrot and green peas while sautéing. I like my appe spicy but if you are making for kids reduce the amount of chilli. Its a no onion garlic recipe but you can add 1 finely chopped onion in the batter if you want. If you have leftover green peas stuffing of paratha or kachodi then you can add it in your appe batter.
Carrot – 1
Green peas – 1/2 cup
Ginger – 1 inch piece
Green chilli – 3-4 or to taste
Semolina or suji – 1 cup
Curd – 1/2 cup
Water – 3/4 cup or as required
Salt to taste
Cumin powder – 1 teaspoon
Chaat masala powder – 1 teaspoon
Lemon juice – 1 tablespoon
Baking soda – 1/2 teaspoon
Cilantro or coriander leaves – 2 tablespoon, chopped
Oil – 1 tablespoon + to fry
1. Mix semolina or suji with curd and 1/2 water. Add salt and mix well. Cover and keep aside for 15-30 minutes.
2. Wash, peel and grate the carrot. Grind the green peas with ginger and green chilli. Add green chilli according to your taste. I like my appe spicy so used 4. You can add 1-2 tablespoon water for easy grinding.
3. Heat oil in a pan and add ground green peas, ginger and green chilli. Add grated carrot, salt and cumin powder. Add salt carefully. We have added salt in semolina too.
4. Saute till mixture completely dried up and raw smell of peas goes away. Remove from heat.
5. Add the green peas and carrot mixture into the suji batter. Add chaat masala, lemon juice and chopped cilantro or coriander leaves. Add water as require to make a thick batter.
6. Add baking soda and mix well.
7. Heat appe pan. Add a few drops of oil in all the holes.
8. Pour a spoonful of batter in every holes. Cover and cook on low heat till appe starts to change it’s colour and firm up.
9. Sprinkle little oil over all the appe. Flip and turn the appe upside down. Cook uncovered until appe becomes golden brown.
Serve hot with any chutney or sauce.
1. You can use any other vegetables with carrot and green peas.
2. You can double the green peas if you want. Increase the spices accordingly.
3. One finely chopped onion can be added in the batter.
4. You can also use leftover green peas stuffing of paratha or kachodi.
If you tried my recipe, you can share your food pictures with me in the social network sites by using hashtag, #batterupwithsujata I would love to see your creations.
I would love to hear from you. Please share your thoughts and suggestions in comment.
Please visit my facebook page and hit the like button to get the latest update