Eggless chocolate cookies or chocolate nankhatai/shortbread cookies. A delicious and healthy treat for your kids. Cookies are made with multigrain flour or a mixture of wheat, barley, ragi, corn, chana or chickpea and soybean flour and little cornmeal. And sweetened with organic jaggery powder. You can also use normal powdered sugar, coconut sugar or brown sugar. You can add some choco chips or chopped dry fruits in the dough if you want.
For more recipes you can subscribe this blog. You will get a mail whenever I post a new recipe.
I got a bottle of farm fresh organic jaggery powder from my loving neighbor Jagjeet Kaur Kang (Sona). Every year she brings a bottle for me from her parents home. And I love to use this jaggery in my bakes like
and Gluten free oats tutti frutti jaggery cookies . So thanks to Sona and a big thank to her brothers who cultivate in their farm.
Sending this post to 275 #Foodiemonday bloghop theme is Healthy Bakes suggested by me. Eagerly waiting to see my fellow blogger’s recipes using different kinds of healthy flour or some healthy baked dishes.
I have used store bought multigrain flour but you can make a mixture of different flours if you want. And if you don’t have organic jaggery powder then you can use unrefined or raw sugar, brown sugar, powdered sugar, jaggery powder, coconut sugar or any sweetener of your choice. My kids like less sweet so I had used 1/3 cup organic jaggery powder, if you like your cookies sweeter then add 1 cup sweetener. Cornmeal will make your cookies crisp. But you can also use oats powder, besan or chickpea flour or simply increase the amount of multigrain flour. For soft and mouth melting cookies bake for only 10 – 12 minutes. And for crispy cookies bake for 15 – 20 minutes. Every oven takes different time so check after 10 minutes. If you are using OTG set the temperature at 180° but in new microwave convection mode bake at 160°.
Multigrain flour – 1 cup
Cornmeal or makka atta – 1/3 cup
Semolina or suji – 2 tablespoon
Cocoa powder – 2 & 1/2 tablespoon
Butter – 1/2 cup
Organic jaggery powder – 3/4 cup
Vanilla essence – 1/2 teaspoon
Baking powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Baking soda – 1/4 teaspoon
Choco chips as require
1. Preheat the oven at 180°.
2. Grease a baking tray or line with parchment paper.
3. In a bowl mix multigrain flour, cornmeal, semolina, cocoa powder, baking powder and soda.
4. In a large bowl whisk jaggery powder and butter well. I have used homemade white butter. I like my cookies less sweet but if you want sweeter cookies use 1 cup organic jaggery powder.
5. Add vanilla essence and whisk again.
6. Now add all the dry ingredients. Mix well and make a smooth dough.
7. Make small balls. You can make 21 – 22 small cookies. Or make larger balls to make large size cookies.
8. Press the ball gently with your palm and arrange the cookies on greased or lined baking tray.
9. Press ones choco chip in the middle. I had used white choco chips. You can use any choco chips or dry fruits of your choice. But this step is optional.
10. Bake the cookies in preheated oven for 12-15 minutes or till cracks appears. For crisper cookies bake for a few minutes more. Let the cookies cool down before serving. Enjoy the cookies with your milk, tea or coffee.
1. Any flour can be used to make these cookies.
2. You can also add some choco chips or shredded almond or any dry fruits in the dough.
If you tried my recipe, you can share your food pictures with me in the social network sites by using hashtag, #batterupwithsujata I would love to see your creations.
I would love to hear from you. Please share your thoughts and suggestions in comment.
Please visit my facebook page and hit the like button to get the latest update