Double chocolate whole wheat muffins with coconut sugar. Soft moist rich chocolaty muffins taste scrumptious. Cocoa powder and grated chocolate made these muffins perfectly chocolaty and delightful.
I have used whole wheat flour to make these muffins. You can definitely use all purpose flour or maida but better to avoid all purpose flour or refined flour. Whole wheat flour are packed with nutrients including several vitamins and fiber. You can also use millet flour or any gluten free flour instead of whole wheat flour.
Cocoa powder and dark chocolate made these muffins full of chocolaty flavour. Earlier I had used Morde chocolate compound but this time used Amul compound chocolate. You can use whatever you have.
Instant coffee powder used to enhance the flavour of chocolate.
Oil will help to make your muffins moist. You can use olive oil or any flavorless oil. I used sunflower oil.
Salt will balance the sweetness of muffins and enhance the taste.
Baking powder and soda used for leavening and also to make the muffins soft.
Curd or yogurt will make your muffins moist. Curd with baking powder and soda makes the eggless muffins fluffy and moist. No need for hung curd, use normal homemade curd.
Milk used to add moisture to the batter. And to make the muffins light.
Milk powder used to enhance the taste. And it also gives an extra richness. But its optional you can skip if you want.
Coconut sugar used as sweetener. You can always use cane sugar, brown sugar, jaggery or any sweetener of your choice. Coconut sugar is a healthy sugar alternative. The harmful effects of added sugar are becoming increasingly more evident. As a result, people are turning to natural alternatives. A sweetener that has become very popular in the past few years is coconut sugar. This sugar is derived from the coconut palm tree and touted as being more nutritious and lower on the glycemic index than sugar. Source
Vanilla essence used to give a lovely flavour.
You may like some other muffins and cupcake recipes on this blog. Click on the link below for recipe.
You may also like to try Eggless chocolate cake from my blogger friend Poonam Bachhav.
You have to sieve the flour baking powder, soda, cocoa powder and salt. Add milk powder and keep aside. I have used grated chocolate. Heat the grated compound chocolate with milk for a minute to melt the chocolate. Used Amul compound chocolate. I had microwave for one minute on full power. Whisk well with curd, vanilla essence, coffee, oil and coconut sugar. Whisk everything well.
Now add all the dry ingredients. Don’t add all the dry ingredients in one go. First add half and mix then add remaining dry ingredients and mix well to make a smooth lump free batter. You can also use 1/4 to 1/2 cup choco chips in the batter for more chocolaty taste.
I baked in my Samsung microwave hot blast function to bake the muffins. Bake in preheated oven at 170° for 10- 12 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Insert a toothpick in a muffin to check. Let muffins cool down. Dust the muffins with icing sugar with the help of a sieve. This step is optional. Used white choco chips and icing sugar only to make the muffins attractive and kids friendly.
Subscribe with your mail address to get all the recipes straight to your mailbox immediately after publishing.
Whole wheat flour or atta – 1 cup
Baking powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Baking soda – 1/4 teaspoon
Cocoa powder – 4 tablespoon
Salt – 1/8 teaspoon
Cooking chocolate – 1/2 cup, grated
Curd or yogurt – 1/2 cup
Milk – 1/4 cup
Instant coffee powder – 2 teaspoon
Vanilla essence – 1/2 tablespoon
Oil – 1/4 cup
Coconut sugar – 1/3 cup
Milk powder – 1/4 cup, optional
1. Grease or line muffins moulds. Preheat the oven at 170°.
2. Sift whole wheat flour or atta, cocoa powder, baking powder, soda and salt. Mix milk powder if using.
3. Grate the cooking chocolate in a microwavable glass bowl. Add milk and microwave on high power for 1 minute. You can also melt the chocolate with milk in pan on stove top. In the milk mixed melted chocolate add coffee, vanilla essence and curd or yogurt. I have used homemade curd. Whisk well.
4. Add coconut sugar and oil. Whisk again till everything combined well. If you are not using milk powder add 1-2 tablespoon more coconut sugar. Because milk powder gives an extra sweetness. And if you want your muffins lightly sweetened add 1/4 cup coconut sugar.
5. Pour the mixture in a large bowl. Add all the dry ingredients gradually and mix. Make a smooth lump free batter.
6. Pour the mixture in greased or lined muffin moulds. Fill upto 3/4 cup.
7. Bake the muffins in preheated oven at 170° for 12 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Let the muffins cool down before serving. You can dust the muffins with powdered sugar with the help of a sieve. Or press some white choco chips over the muffins.
8. Enjoy the soft delicious chocolaty muffins.
1. All purpose flour or any flour can be used instead of whole wheat flour or atta. You can also use millet flour if you want.
2. You can also use 1/4 to 1/2 cup choco chips in the batter.
3. Brown sugar, powdered sugar, granulated sugar or any sweetener can be used instead of coconut sugar.
4. You can use olive oil or any flavorless oil.
If you tried my recipe, you can share your food pictures with me in the social network sites by using hashtag, #batterupwithsujata I would love to see your creations.
I would love to hear from you. Please share your thoughts and suggestions in comment.
Please visit my facebook page and hit the like button to get the latest update