Mediterranean green lentil or sabut moong soup. Delicious, flavourful, filling and comfort bowl of this lentil soup is perfect for winter.
Flavour of different powder spices like cumin, cinnamon etc. and the goodness of power packed green lentil and carrots with drizzle of extra virgin olive oil made this soup nutritious and mouthwatering.
After green gram Kabab here is a soup with green gram or lentil or beans.
This lentil is packed With Healthy Nutrients.
Mung beans (Vigna radiata) are small, green beans that belong to the legume family.
Mung beans are incredibly versatile and typically eaten in salads, soups and stir-frys.
They’re high in nutrients and believed to aid many ailments.
Mung beans are rich in vitamins and minerals.
Mung beans are high in nutrients and antioxidants, which may provide health benefits.
In fact, they may protect against heat stroke, aid digestive health, promote weight loss and lower “bad” LDL cholesterol, blood pressure and blood sugar levels.
Since mung beans are healthy, delicious and versatile, consider incorporating them into your diet.
To read more about health benefits of green beans click here.
You may like some more green lentil recipes on this blog.
I have already shared three more lentil or dal soup on this blog. Click on the name below for recipe.
Monday again and this week’s 222 #Foodiemonday bloghop theme is Mystique Mediterranean suggested by Archana who blog at The Mad Scientists Kitchen.
Archana is a very dear friend and a talented blogger. She has a vast collection of recipes. Visit her space for different types of delicious recipes. I have already bookmarked her Ridge gourd chutney and Gobhi musallam to try.
According to Wikipedia Mediterranean cuisine is the foods and methods of preparation by people of the Mediterranean Basin region.
When Archana suggested the theme I was searching for a simple but comforting dish for winter. And loved this healthy and delicious recipe.
I have made little changes according to my taste and availability of the ingredients.
I have pressure cooked the lentil to make it quickly. But if you don’t want to use pressure cooker, you can make it in pan. After frying onion, garlic, ginger and carrots add the lentils and all the spices with salt. Mix and add 3 – 4 cup water. When it starts to rolling boil reduce the heat. Cover and cook on simmer for 40 – 45 minutes or till lentils becomes soft. Check in between and add more water if require.
You can also add chopped spinach in the soup.
Green lentil or sabut moong – 1/2 cup
Carrot – 2
Onion – 2 medium, chopped
Garlic – 2 – 3 cloves, minced
Ginger – 1/2 inch piece, grated
Tomato – 4 medium, chopped
Cilantro or coriander leaves – handful, chopped
Salt to taste
Extra virgin olive oil – 2 tablespoon + to drizzle
Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Cumin powder – 1 teaspoon
Coriander powder – 1 teaspoon
Black pepper powder – 1/2 teaspoon or to taste
Red chilli powder – 1 teaspoon
Cinnamon powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Lemon juice – 1 tablespoon or to taste
Water – 3 & 1/2 cup
1. Soak the lentil in sufficient water for 15 minutes.
2. Rinse well and pressure cook with 2 cup water, salt and turmeric powder. After 1 whistle reduce the heat. Cook on simmer for 10 – 15 minutes or until lentils becomes soft. Let the pressure settle down on it’s own.
3. Wash, peel and chop the carrots into small cubes.
4. Crush or grind the tomatoes.
5. Heat olive oil in a pan. Add chopped onions and fry till translucent.
6. Add minced garlic and grated ginger. Saute till onion becomes brown.
7. Add chopped carrots and saute for 2 minutes.
8. Add crushed or ground tomatoes, all the spice powder and salt. Add salt carefully, we have added salt in lentil also.
9. Saute till everything dried up.
Add boiled lentils and mix well.
10. Add 1 & 1/2 cup water and let it boil. When it starts to rolling boil, reduce the heat. Cover and cook on simmer for 10 minutes. Taste and adjust salt if require. You can add little more water if you want. But don’t make too runny.
11. Remove from heat. Add lemon juice and mix. You can add more lemon juice if you like your soup tangy.
12. Delicious lentil soup is ready. Drizzle olive oil. Garnish with cilantro or coriander leaves and lemon wedges. Serve hot.
1. Recipe adopted from here.
2. You can also use green chilli if you want your soup spicy.
3. If you don’t want pressure cook soak the lentil for 30 minutes and add after frying onion, garlic, carrots and toqmatoes. Add water as require. When it starts to rolling boil cover and cook on simmer for 40 – 45 minutes or till the lentil becomes soft.
4. Spinach can be used in the soup with carrots.
5. You can also use potato if you like.
If you tried my recipe, you can share your food pictures with me in the social network sites by using hashtag, #batterupwithsujata
I would love to see your creations.