Date walnut chocolate cake. Eggless low calorie gluten free cake with protein rich soybean flour, cornmeal and olive oil. Delicious soft cake is also sugar free and perfectly sweetened with dates. So you can call it absolutely guilt free cake to satisfy your sweet craving.
You may like some more chocolate flavored cakes on this blog. Click on the name below for recipe.
You can subscribe to our newsletter to get all the recipes immediately after publishing.
One more healthy recipe for diet conscious people. Diabetic people can also enjoy this cake but in moderation. Remember only one or two pieces in a day.
Dates have a low GI, which means they’re less likely to spike your blood sugar levels, making them a safe choice for people with diabetes. Dates boast an impressive nutritional profile and natural sweetness. Because they’re a natural source of fructose, they might be a concern for people with diabetes. However, because they have a low GI and medium GL, they’re safe for those with diabetes in moderation — which translates to no more than 1 to 2 dates at a time. Source – Healthline
My Vegan date millet peanut butter cookies are lightly sweetened but this cake is perfectly sweet and absolutely delicious.
This week 288 #Foodiemonday bloghop theme is Chocolate Delights suggested by Swaty Malik who blog at Food Trails. Swaty is a very talented blogger. I always love her healthy and delicious recipes. Recently bookmarked her Eggless strawberry cake and Zucchini and carrot chocolate nut bread to try.
If you don’t have soybean flour then you can use any flour to make this cake. Its a gluten free cake. You can make it vegan by using almond milk, coconut milk, soy milk or any dairy free milk. You can also use any chopped dry fruits with walnut. I have used my Samsung smart oven or new microwave. And its take less time and temperature to bake than OTG. So set the temperature and time accordingly. For OTG bake in preheated oven at 180° for 30 – 35 minutes and in microwave hot blast function or convection mode bake at 150° for 20-25 minutes. Check with a toothpick. And after baking immediately remove from microwave. Your cake may be overbaked if you keep the cake in hot oven after baking. My cake was slightly underbaked due to frequently power cut during baking and I kept my cake in microwave after baking and took out when completely cool. Result is slightly overbaked cake but taste is too good.
Cake is also completely fat free. I have used only 1/3 cup Olive oil in the cake. If you don’t have olive oil then you can use any flavorless oil or butter. Coffee and cocoa is a great combo. Coffee, cocoa and vanilla made the cake heavenly. My kitchen filled with lovely aroma. So enjoy the delicious and healthy treat.
Soyabean flour – 1 cup
Cornmeal or makka atta – 1/2 cup
Cocoa powder – 3 tablespoon
Instant coffee powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Baking powder – 1 teaspoon
Baking soda – 1/2 teaspoon
Dates or khajur – 35, pitted
Milk – 1 cup + 3 tablespoon
Vinegar – 1 tablespoon
Olive oil – 1/3 cup
Vanilla essence – 1 teaspoon
Walnut – 1/4 heaped cup, chopped + for topping
1. In a bowl sieve soybean flour, cornmeal or makka atta, cocoa powder, baking powder and soda. Add coffee and chopped walnut. Mix everything well. Keep aside.
2. Boil one cup of milk and chopped dates. Let it cool down.
3. Take out the soft dates and grind with little milk. Make a smooth paste.
4. Pour the date paste in a large bowl. Add rest of the milk and 1 tablespoon vinegar. Mix well.
5. Add vanilla essence and olive oil. Whisk well.
6. Grease a bundt pan or line with parchment paper and brush with oil. Dust the pan with little cocoa powder. You can use loaf pan or any cake or cupcake moulds to make this cake.
7. If you are using OTG preheat the oven at 180° for 10 minutes. And for new model Samsung microwave set hot blast function. Set the temperature at 150° and press start. Your oven will start to preheat.
8. Now add all the dry ingredients gradually and mix with a spatula. Add 3-4 tablespoon more milk and mix well.
9. Make a smooth lump free batter. Spread some walnut in the greased and cocoa dusted bundt pan. Pour the batter over it. Tap the pan on your kitchen counter to remove the air bubbles.
10. Bake in preheated oven for 25- 30 minutes or till toothpick comes out clean. Insert a toothpick in the cake to check.
11. Remove the cake from oven and invert on a cooling rack or plate to cool down completely. Slice and enjoy the guilt free and delectable taste.
1. You can use any flour instead of Soyabean flour and cornmeal.
2. Any flavorless oil or butter can be used instead of olive oil.
3. You can use any chopped dry fruits of your choice with walnut.
4. 1 tablespoon Lemon juice can be used instead of vinegar.
5. Vegan people can use almond milk, coconut milk, soy milk or any dairy free milk.
If you tried my recipe, you can share your food pictures with me in the social network sites by using hashtag, #batterupwithsujata I would love to see your creations.
I would love to hear from you. Please share your thoughts and suggestions in comment.
Please visit my facebook page and hit the like button to get the latest update