Apple coconut kheer or pudding sweetened with date powder. Thickened milk, cashew nuts, almond, date powder, apple and coconut made this kheer heavenly. Taste is much better than the kheer usually made with sugar or jaggery. And best part is you need only 3 spoon of date powder to make this delicious kheer.
This kheer is made with apple coconut and dry fruits. So its perfect for your fasting days. My recent visit to local supermarket Kipps I got this date powder and very happy with the taste. Very fine powder so easy to use in any dishes. Stay tuned for one more scrumptious recipe with date powder.
Here are some more kheer recipes on this blog.
3. Rice kheer
And you may also like to try Dry fruits and foxnut or makhana kheer from my blogger friend Swaty Malik.
Recipe is very simple and easy. Only thing to remember that never add apple in hot thickened milk. Milk may curdle if added in hot milk. And please don’t skip the stir frying grated apple with little ghee. But you can use olive oil or any flavorless oil instead of ghee if you want. Coconut is optional, you can omit coconut if you want. Or you can stir fry the grated coconut with one teaspoon ghee before adding in the thickened milk. You can also use any dry fruits of your choice.
Subscribe with your mail address to get all the recipes straight to your mailbox immediately after publishing.
Milk – 4 cup
Apple – 1 large
Grated Coconut – 1/4 cup, tightly packed
Ghee or clarified butter – 2 teaspoon
Date powder – 3 tablespoon
Cardamom powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Almond – 20, sliced
Cashew nuts – 20, sliced
Pistachio to garnish
1. Peel and grate the apple. Discard the seeds. Heat a pan and add ghee or clarified butter. Add grated apple and cook till all the moisture evaporate. Keep stirring to avoid sticking to the bottom. When dried up completely remove from heat and keep aside. Cook grated apple immediately after grating.
2. Boil milk in a heavy bottom pan or vessel. Cook the milk for 15 minutes. Stir continuously and scrap the sides. I have used toned milk but you can use full cream milk if you want.
3. After 15 minutes add grated coconut and mix well. See notes for more options. If you don’t like coconut, then you can skip this step.
4. When milk starts to rolling boil reduce the heat. Cook on simmer for 30 minutes or till milk becomes thick. Keep stirring in regular interval. Also scrap the sides.
5. After 15 minutes add date powder. Break all the lumps of date powder and mix well with a ladle or spoon. Add sliced almond and cashew nuts and cook for 5 minutes more. Reserve some nuts for garnishing.
6. Add cardamom powder,mix and remove from heat. Let it cool down completely. Add apple and mix.
7. Garnish with shredded almond, cashew nuts and pistachio.
8. Keep the kheer in refrigerator and serve chilled. Or you can also serve it in room temperature. Enjoy the heavenly taste.
1. You can use raisins or any dry fruits of your choice.
2. You can also stir fry the grated coconut with 1 teaspoon ghee before adding in milk.
3. Sugar or any sweetener can be used instead of date powder.
4. Add apple when thickened milk becomes completely cool down.
5. You can use olive oil or any flavorless oil instead of ghee.
If you tried my recipe, you can share your food pictures with me in the social network sites by using hashtag, #batterupwithsujata I would love to see your creations.
I would love to hear from you. Please share your thoughts and suggestions in comment.
Please visit my facebook page and hit the like button to get the latest update