Whole Masoor dal or brown or red lentils. You can call it powerhouse of nutrients.
A protein rich very delicious, flavourful and spicy dal. Best accompany with your steamed rice or any bread.
Whole Masoor (Red Lentils) is one of the small and good source of cholesterol-lowering fiber from a list of Indian dals. Masoor dal is a very important part of vegetarian diet in Indian cuisine. They are a powerhouse of protein and rich in vitamin B1 and folic acid. Ayurveda states that red lentils help in balancing the vata. Here are 7 amazing health benefits of Masoor Dal.
1. Prevents Rapid Aging
2. Helps Weight Loss
3. Boosts Immunity
4. Improves Digestion
5. Protects Your Heart
6. Reduces Inflammation
7. Healthy for Eyes
One nice evening my neighbor Anju Arora came to my house. We were talking about some different types of dal or lentil. And I remember this whole masoor dal that I didn’t cook at all this year. Thanks Anju for reminding me of this nutritious dal.
Sending this post to 160 #Foodiemonday bloghop #DalsOfIndia theme.
If you don’t like onion garlic then you can skip these. Dal will be delicious without onion garlic too. Follow rest of the recipe, just omit onion and garlic.
You can add 1 teaspoon dry roasted and crushed kasoori methi at the end. I didn’t. I have made it in pressure cooker. You don’t need to boil it and then add tempering. Just fry all the spices in pressure cooker and add the dal. This dal takes longer time to cook than other dal.
Whole masoor dal – 1 cup
Onion – 1 medium, finely chopped
Tomato – 2 large chopped
Green chilli – 1-2 finely chopped
Ginger – 1 inch piece, grated
Garlic – 3 – 4 cloves, minced
Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
Dry red chilli – 2
Bay leaf – 1
Green cardamom – 2
Cinnamon – 1 inch piece
Cloves – 3
Cumin powder – 1 teaspoon
Turmeric – 1/2 teaspoon
Garam masala powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Salt to taste
Water – 4 cup or as require
Oil or ghee – 2 – 3 tablespoon
1. Wash the whole masoor dal or brown lentils well and soak in water for 15 – 20 minutes.
2. Crush green cardamom, cinnamon and cloves in a mortar pestle.
3. Heat oil or ghee/clarified butter in a pressure cooker. I have used half oil half ghee.
4. Add cumin seeds, bay leaf, crushed cardamom, cinnamon and cloves and dry red chilli.
5. When cumin starts to splutter add chopped onion and green chilli.
6. Fry til the onions becomes translucent. Add minced garlic and fry until onion and garlic becomes brown.
7. Add chopped tomatoes and grated ginger. Add cumin powder, turmeric powder garam masala powder and salt. You can also add red chilli powder if you want your dal more spicy.
8. Stir continuously and cook until tomatoes becomes mushy and oil leaves the sides.
9. Drain the water from soaked whole masoor dal or red lentils and add in the pressure cooker.
10. Mix well and fry till it dried up completely.
Add 4 cup water. Mix and close the lid.
11.Whole lentils take time to cook. So let it cook for 7 – 8 whistle or after 1 whistle cook on simmer for 30 minutes.
12. Let the pressure cooker cool down.
Check the dal by pressing between your finger tips. If its not soft enough cook for 2 – 3 whistles more.
13. Your dal is ready. If you are not on a restricted diet, add a dollop of ghee or clarified butter.
14. Garnish with chopped cilantro or coriander leaves, sliced ginger and tomato.
You can garnish with chopped onions or fried onion slices. Or you can sprinkle 1 teaspoon dry roasted and crushed kasoori methi if you like.
Serve hot with steamed rice, roti naan or any bread.
1. Add chilli according to your taste.
2. Add water as you like the consistency thin or thick. Best keep the consistency semi thick.
3. You can mash 2 – 3 tablespoon dal to get creamy texture.
4. If you don’t like onion garlic then you can skip these. Follow the rest of the recipe and just omit onion and garlic.
If you tried my recipe, you can share your food pictures with me in the social network sites by using hash tag, #batterupwithsujata
I would love to see your creations.
I would love to hear from you. Please share your thoughts and suggestions in comment.
Please visit my facebook page and hit the like button to get the latest update