Soya egg shami kabab.
A delicious kabab without meat.
You can serve it as a party starter. Prepare all the patties shaped kabab in advance and shallow fry just before serving.
This kabab is made of soya granules, paneer or cottage cheese, potatoes, Bengal gram or chana dal, egg, bread slices and spices.
But you can make it without eggs too. It will be delicious with or without eggs both. I have made this in both ways. I am sure you will love the taste of this crisp outside and soft inside delicious kabab.
I have already shared a delicious soya loaf recipe. And my readers liked it. Some of you called meatless meatloaf 😀
Now here is a recipe of meatless shami kabab for you.
This post is going to be a part of #Foodiemonday bloghop theme is #bread. We have to make anything using bread.
My contribution is this delicious and healthy soya egg shami kabab.
Protein rich soya has numerous health benefits. Not only protein but you can get vitamins, fibers, minerals and all the essential amino acids. It reduces cholesterol levels and reduce the risk of osteoporosis and cancer. And it is heart healthy too. It may reduce the risk of heart disease.
And we all know that paneer or cottage cheese is also rich in protein and calcium. Its good for heart health, good for bones and teeth, improve digestion and maintain blood sugar levels.
Egg is also a rich source of protein, vitamins and minerals.
Now here is a detailed recipe of egg soya kabab. You can serve it with any chutney or sauce.
Soya granules – 1 cup
Bengal gram or chana dal – 1/2 cup
Crumbled paneer or cottage cheese – 1/2 cup, tightly packed
Boiled potatoes – 2, medium
Green cardamom – 3
Cloves – 3
Cinnamon – 1/2 inch piece
Mace or jawitri – 2 strands
Black peppercorns – 4 – 5
Ginger – 1 inch piece, roughly chopped
Garlic cloves – 4-5
Salt to taste
Cumin powder – 1 & 1/2 teaspoon
Garam masala powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Lemon juice – 2 teaspoon
Bread – 3 pieces
Roasted chickpea powder or sattu – 1 & 1/2 tablespoon
Onion – 2 large, finely chopped
Green chilli – 2 – 3 or to taste, finely chopped
Chopped cilantro or coriander leaves – 1 tablespoon, optional
Eggs – 2
1. Soak the soya granules in 2 cup hot water for 30 minutes.
2. Boil Bengal gram or chana dal in a pressure cooker with green cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, ginger, garlic and 1 & 1/2 cup water.
3. Open the pressure cooker. Dal should be dry. If it watery, cook without lid till the moisture evaporate and dal become dry. Let it cool down.
4. Dip the bread pieces in water and squeeze well.
5. Peel and mash the boiled potatoes.
6. Drain the water of soya granules. Squeeze it well.
7. In a mixer grinder grind dal along with whole spices, paneer or cottage cheese and squeezed soya granules. Don’t add water. Stir the mixture with a spoon in between to grind evenly.
8. Take out the mixture in a large bowl. Add mashed potato salt, cumin powder, garam masala powder, chopped onions, green chilli, roasted chickpea powder or sattu, soaked, chopped cilantro or coriander leaves, squeezed bread pieces and eggs. Mix well.
9. Keep the mixture in refrigerator for 15 – 30 minutes.
10. Make round ball and flatten them with your palm. Make all the round patties.
11. Heat little oil in a pan. Shallow fry the patties from both sides.
Serve hot with sliced onion and any chutney or sauce.
For without egg version
Mix boiled and mashed potato in the ground mixture. Add roasted chickpea powder or sattu. You don’t need to add bread pieces. Mix well and keep in refrigerator for 15 minutes.
Then make round patties and shallow fry.
1. Instead of roasted chickpea you can use dry roasted gram flour, oats powder or breadcrumbs.
2. If you like you can use minced mutton or chicken instead of soya granules. Boil the minced mutton or chicken with Bengal gram with more water and follow the same process .
I would love to hear from you. Please share your thoughts and suggestions in comment.
If you tried my recipe, you can share your food pictures with me in the social network sites by using hash tag, #batterupwithsujata
I would love to see your creations.
Please visit my facebook page and hit the like button to get the latest update.
Stay connected at