Sugar free besan or chickpea/garbanzo flour biscuit. A delicious, crisp and easy to make biscuit with date powder, pistachio and almond. You don’t need sugar or jaggery to make these biscuits. Little rice flour will make your biscuits perfectly crispy. So here is a healthy and delicious biscuit for your munching time or to serve with tea, coffee or milk.
Already shared many different types of cookies on this blog. Click here for the recipes.
You may also like to try Cardamom nankhatai from me fellow blogger Priya Vijaykrishnan.
Earlier shared besan nankhatai here. But taste of this besan biscuit is totally different. I didn’t use sugar in these biscuits. Date powder will give enough sweetness.
Dates have a low GI, which means they’re less likely to spike your blood sugar levels, making them a safe choice for people with diabetes. Dates boast an impressive nutritional profile and natural sweetness. Because they’re a natural source of fructose, they might be a concern for people with diabetes. However, because they have a low GI and medium GL, they’re safe for those with diabetes in moderation — which translates to no more than 1 to 2 dates at a time. Source
Recipe is very simple. Just add everything to make a smooth dough. I have used shredded almond and pistachios but you can use any dry fruits of your choice. You can also use tutti frutti in the dough if you want.
Subscribe with your mail address to get all the recipes straight to your mailbox immediately after publishing.
Video recipe of this delicious besan biscuit 👇
Besan or chickpea flour/garbanzo flour – 1 cup
Rice flour – 3 tablespoon
Dry date powder – little less than 1/2 cup
Butter or ghee/clarified butter – 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon
Milk – 3-4 tablespoon or as required
Baking powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Milk powder – 1 tablespoon
Cardamom powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Shredded pistachios – 1 tablespoon
Almond – 1 tablespoon, chopped
1. Grease a baking tray or line with parchment paper. Preheat the microwave oven at 170°. Use convection or hot blast function. And for OTG preheat at 180° for 10 minutes.
2. In a bowl mix besan or chickpea flour, rice flour, milk powder, baking powder, cardamom powder and shredded almond. Mix well and keep aside.
3. In a large bowl whisk date powder, ghee or clarified butter and milk.
4. Add all the dry ingredients and mix. Make a smooth dough. Don’t knead much. Add little more milk and 1-2 tablespoon ghee or clarified butter if require to make dough. I had to add little milk and 1 tablespoon ghee more to make smooth dough. Add milk slowly as required.
5. Make small balls and press gently with your palm. Arrange the balls on greased or lined baking tray.
6. Place little shredded pistachios in the middle of the cookies. Press gently with your finger tips. Arrange all the cookies like this.
7. Bake in preheated oven at 170° for 8-10 minutes or till edges becomes light brown. Every oven takes different time. So keep an eye after 8 minutes. Don’t make too brown.
8. Let the cookies cool down completely. Enjoy delicious sugar free cookies immediately or store in airtight container for later use.
I would love to hear from you. Please share your thoughts and suggestions in comment.
Please visit my facebook page and hit the like button to get the latest update