Mango salsa. A perfect summer recipe can be made with handful of ingredients and in a few minutes. This spicy tangy lipsmacking mango salsa made with raw mango, cucumber, green chilli, ginger, tomato, watermelon, mint, cilantro or coriander leaves and some spices.
My last post was a Summer cooler. Now sharing one more summer special recipe. Try and please drop a comment about how you like it.
Sweetness of watermelon enhance the taste of this spicy salsa. You can use any sweet fruit like ripe mango, grapes, pineapple instead of watermelon. You can also use little more lemon juice if you want your salsa more tangy. If you like your salsa more spicy add 1-2 more green chilli or 1/2 teaspoon black pepper powder more.
Ingredients used to make this delicious salsa.
Raw mango/green mango or kchcha aam – Main ingredient is raw or green mango. Sour taste and a sharp flavour made this salsa lipsmackingly delicious.
Cucumber or kheera – Cucumber will give a refreshing taste to your salsa. But check the cucumber pieces before adding in the salsa. Cucumber shouldn’t be bitter.
Watermelon or tarbuj – Watermelon will give a mildly sweet taste. It will balance the spiciness of the salsa.
Ginger or adrak – Fresh ginger used for a spicy taste and aroma.
Onion or pyaj – Used one finely chopped red onion to enhance the taste and for flavour and crunch.
Green chilli or hari mirch – Green chilli will give your salsa a spicy kick. I have used only one but you can use more if you want your salsa more spicy.
Tomato or tamatar – Used tomato for a sweet and sour taste. Always use firm tomato.
Cilantro/coriander leaves or dhania – Handful finely chopped cilantro used for a refreshing flavour.
Mint leaves or pudina – Mint leaves or pudina will give a cool fresh flavour.
Lemon juice or nimbu ras – One teaspoon lemon juice used for a refreshing flavour and tangy taste.
Pink or black salt/kala namak – Used pink salt for taste. If you don’t have pink or black salt, then you can use any salt. Use whatever you have.
Black pepper or kali mirch powder – Black pepper or kali mirch powder used for a mildly spicy flavour. You can use little more to make your salsa spicy. You can also use freshly crushed black pepper if you want.
Here are some similar recipes with some different ingredients. Click on the name below for recipe.
7. Corn salad
You may also like to try Muskmelon salsa from the blog of my friend Poonam Bachhav.
You can add any fruit in this salsa to get the mildly sweet taste. And as I mentioned above if you like your salsa more spicy add more green chilli and black pepper powder. Adjust the hotness according to your taste. 1 teaspoon lemon juice is perfect for me but if you want your salsa more tangy add little more lemon juice.
Subscribe with your mail address to get all the recipes straight to your mailbox immediately after publishing.
Raw mango – 1
Cucumber – 1
Watermelon – 1/2 cup, cubed
Ginger – 1/2 inch piece, grated
Onion – 1
Green chilli – 1-2
Tomato – 1 small
Cilantro or coriander leaves – handful
Mint leaves – 1/4 cup
Lemon juice – 1 teaspoon
Pink or black salt – 1 teaspoon or to taste
Black pepper powder – 1/4 teaspoon
1. Wash everything well and drain the water.
2. Peel and chop the raw mango into small pieces. Cut the both ends of cucumber. Peel and chop into small pieces. Taste a piece before adding in the salsa. Cucumber shouldn’t be bitter.
3. Peel and cut the watermelon into small cubes. Or scoop to make small watermelon balls. Discard the seeds. Peel and finely chop the onion. Finely chop the green chilli, tomato, mint leaves and cilantro or coriander leaves. Mix everything in a bowl.
4. Add salt to taste and one teaspoon lemon juice. Mix well. Taste and adjust the salt and lemon juice. Serve immediately or keep in refrigerator to serve chilled.
1. You can use any salt instead of pink salt.
2. You can use any fruit of your choice instead of watermelon.
3. Add green chilli and black pepper powder according to your spice tolerance.
4. You can also use freshly crushed black pepper instead of black pepper powder.
If you tried my recipe, you can share your food pictures with me in the social network sites by using hashtag, #batterupwithsujata I would love to see your creations.
I would love to hear from you. Please share your thoughts and suggestions in comment.
Please visit my facebook page and hit the like button to get the latest update
- 1 Knife
- 1 Bowl Large
- 1 Spoon
- 1 Raw mango
- 1 Cucumber
- 1/2 Cup Watermelon Cubed
- 1/2 Inch Ginger Grated
- 1 Onion
- 1 or Green chilli
- 1 Small Tomato
- 4 tbsp Cilantro or coriander leaves
- 1/4 Cup Mint leaves
- 1 tsp Lemon juice
- 1 tsp Pink salt
- 1/4 tsp Black pepper powder
- Wash everything well and drain the water.
- Peel and chop the raw mango into small pieces. Cut the both ends of cucumber. Peel and chop into small pieces. Taste a piece before adding in the salsa. Cucumber shouldn’t be bitter.
- Peel and cut the watermelon into small cubes. Or scoop to make small watermelon balls. Discard the seeds. Peel and finely chop the onion. Finely chop the green chilli, tomato, mint leaves and cilantro or coriander leaves. Mix everything in a bowl.
- Add salt to taste and one teaspoon lemon juice. Mix well. Taste and adjust the salt and lemon juice. Serve immediately or keep in refrigerator to serve chilled.