Fennel seeds and rock sugar or mishri sharbat with mint. Sounf/mouri or fennel seeds and mishri or rock sugar soaked water is an age old refreshing drink for summer. Fennel seeds and mishri are usually used for mouth freshener. Here is a delicious chilled drink made with fennel seeds and rock sugar soaked water. Not only for mouth freshener but sounf mishri water is also an age old remedy for digestion.
Have a look on health benefits of the different ingredients used in this drink.
Fennel seeds or sounf – Aside from its many culinary uses, fennel and its seeds offer a wide array of health benefits and may provide antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and antibacterial effects. Both the flavorful, crunchy bulb and aromatic seeds of the fennel plant are highly nutritious and may offer an abundance of impressive health benefits. Adding them to your diet may improve heart health, reduce inflammation, suppress appetite, and even provide anticancer effects. Healthline
Rock sugar or mishri – Mishri not only make your drink sweet but it has so many health benefits. Rock sugar or ‘mishri’ is more than just a mouth freshener. Generally, people tend to overlook the surprising health benefits of ‘mishri’. It is less sweet than refined sugar and contains vitamins, minerals and amino acid. Rock sugar, which is made from the solution of sugarcane, can be included in your daily diet to get the lesser-known benefits of health. Celebrity nutritionist, Rujuta Diwekar has unraveled how rock sugar is crucial in cough and cold. To read more about health benefits of mishri click here.
Mint leaves – Used mint to give the drink a lovely aroma. Mint leaves have not only a refreshing flavour but also have some health benefits.
8 Health Benefits of Mint
• Rich in Nutrients. Share on Pinterest.
• May Improve Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a common digestive tract disorder.
• May Help Relieve Indigestion.
• Could Improve Brain Function.
• May Decrease Breastfeeding Pain.
• Subjectively Improves Cold Symptoms.
• May Mask Bad Breath. Source
Lemon juice – Vitamin C enriched lemon used to enhance the taste and a lovely refreshing flavour.
Pink or black salt, chaat masala and black pepper used for taste. But its completely optional. You can add only a pinch of pink or black salt and skip chaat masala and black pepper powder. For fasting days omit pink salt too.
You can soak the fennel seeds overnight in refrigerator. Soak the seeds in night and make the drink in next morning. If you want your drink less sweet then add little more water. Make this refreshing drink according to your taste.
Subscribe with your mail address to get all the recipes straight to your mailbox immediately after publishing.
Fennel seeds or sounf – 2 tablespoon
Rock sugar or mishri – 1 piece
Mint leaves – 25-30
Water – 1 cup + 3/4 cup
Lemon juice – 1 teaspoon
Ice cubes – as require
Black pepper powder – 1/4 teaspoon, optional
Pink or black salt and chaat masala to taste, optional
To get the video recipe click on the link below
1. In a bowl soak fennel seeds or sounf and rock sugar or mishri with one cup water for 2-3 hours. You can also steep fennel seeds overnight in refrigerator.
2. When soaked strain the soaked fennel seeds with a sieve. Remove and discard the thread of mishri.
3. Transfer the seeds in a grinder jar. Add mint leaves and 1/4 cup water. You can use less or more mint leaves according to your taste. For light green colour add less mint leaves.
4. Grind into a smooth paste. Strain the mixture again. Add remaining half cup water and press with a spoon to strain well.
5. Add lemon juice and mix. Add salt, black pepper powder and salt in the strained fennel seeds water. This step is optional but it will enhance the taste. Taste and add little more water if its too sweet for you. Add some ice cubes in a glass.
6. Pour the drink over it. Serve chilled. You can also store the drink in a jar and keep in refrigerator for later use.
If you tried my recipe, you can share your food pictures with me in the social network sites by using hashtag, #batterupwithsujata I would love to see your creations.
I would love to hear from you. Please share your thoughts and suggestions in comment.
Please visit my facebook page and hit the like button to get the latest update