Tomato chutney. Here is an easy and delicious Bengali style sweet tomato chutney to serve with any meal. Recipe is very simple and easy to make. If you have boiled tomatoes ready then you can make it in a jiffy.
You may like some more chutney recipes on this blog. Click on the link below for recipe.
11. Peanut chutney
22. Mint yogurt dip
You may also like to try Imli ki chutney from the blog of Preethi Prasad.
Ingredients used to make this chutney.
Tomato or tamatar – I have used 4 small medium tomatoes. If you have large tomato then use two only.
Salt or namak – Used 1/4 teaspoon salt only. You can use according to your taste.
Sugar or chini – Sugar used to sweetened the chutney. You can use jaggery or any other sweetener. But sugar will taste best.
Raisins or kishmish – Used raisins for taste. If you don’t like the taste of raisins then you can omit it. You can also use cashew nuts if you want.
Ginger or adrakh – Ginger will give a spicy kick to your chutney. You can use less or more according to your taste.
Mustard seeds or sarso – Mustard seeds used for tempering or tadka. You can use black or yellow any mustard seeds. Use whatever you have.
Dry red chilli or sukhi lal mirch – Whole dry red chilli also used for tempering or tadka. It will give a very light heat to the chutney. If you want your chutney more hot break the red chilli into half before adding in oil.
Oil or tel – Used very little mustard oil to cook the chutney. You can also use any vegetable oil.
I made this chutney in small quantity. You can double the recipe if you want. Usually this chutney served after meal with papad before serving dessert. But I like this chutney with khichdi, dal chawal, puri or luchi, paratha or with anything. I have used boiled tomatoes but you can also use chopped tomatoes. I like my chutney smooth so boiled and peeled the tomatoes. I have small medium sized tomatoes so I used four but if you have large tomato then use two large tomatoes. Rest of the ingredients will be same.
Subscribe with your mail address to get all the recipes straight to your mailbox immediately after publishing.
Recipe video of tomato chutney
Tomato – 2 large
Ginger 1/2 inch piece grated
Mustard seeds – 1/4 teaspoon
Dry red chilli – 1
Raisins – 2 teaspoon
Salt – 1/4 teaspoon or to taste
Sugar to taste – 3 tablespoon
Oil – 2 teaspoon
Water – 2 cup
1. Wash the tomatoes well. Make a cross-shaped incision or make X with a knife at one end. Don’t make too deep cut. See the method in video recipe above.
2. Soak raisins in 4 tablespoon water. If you don’t like raisins, omit it. You can also use cashew nuts if you want.
3. Boil 2 cup water in a pan. Add the tomatoes in it. Boil for 4 – 5 minutes or until the skin starts to separate.
4. Let it cool down. Peel the boiled tomatoes. Discard the skin and chop into small pieces.
5. Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds and dry red chilli.
6. When seeds starts to splutter add the tomatoes, salt and ginger. Saute, keep the flame low.
7. Add raisins and keep stirring. You can also add cashew nuts if you want. I didn’t. When tomatoes become soft add sugar and mix. Cook on low flame for 5-6 minute or till tomatoes become mushy and thick.
8. And its ready. Transfer the chutney in a bowl to serve.
If you tried my recipe, you can share your food pictures with me in the social network sites by using hashtag, #batterupwithsujata I would love to see your creations.
I would love to hear from you. Please share your thoughts and suggestions in comment.
Please visit my facebook page and hit the like button to get the latest update