Kheerer malpua or mawa malpua. Soft fluffy delicious fried pancake from Bengali cuisine. Malpua is soft but edges are crisp and taste heavenly. Saffron and cardamom flavored kheerer malpua or mawa malpua is a perfect festive treat.
You can also make this malpua to offer Goddess Durga or Bhog prasad.
Earlier shared delicious Malpua. Method of making this malpua is same but khoya/mawa or dried milk used in this malpua. You have to make a smooth lump free batter to make perfect malpua. Khoya or mawa and milk should be blend really well. You can add any shredded dry fruits in the batter. You may like some more fried and sugar syrup soaked sweets on this blog like Gulab jamun, Chhanar jilipi, Pantua, Gokul pithe and Ranga aloor pithe or sweet potato dumplings. And you may also like to try Pahala rasgulla from Sasmita’s blog.
This malpua is very easy to make and taste is delectable. Remember that batter should not be very thick. Make a lump free smooth flowing batter for perfect malpua. Fennel seeds or sounf is optional, you can skip it. But lightly crushed fennel seeds will give a lovely flavour. Sugar syrup is flavored with cardamom and saffron. If you don’t like cardamom then use only half teaspoon. I have used peanut oil mixed with 2 tablespoon ghee or clarified butter for frying. You can use only oil or only ghee/clarified butter if you want. You can use any flavorless oil for frying.
Subscribe with your mail address to get all the recipes straight to your mailbox immediately after publishing.
Khoya or mawa – 1 cup
Maida or all purpose flour – 1 cup
Suji or semolina – 4 tablespoon
Saunf or fennel seeds – 1 teaspoon, optional
Baking soda – 1/4 teaspoon
Warm milk – 1&3/4 cup
Oil or ghee/clarified butter for frying
Sugar – 1&1/2 cup
Water – 1 cup
Saffron or keshar – a pinch
Cardamom powder – 1 teaspoon
1. Blend khoya or mawa and warm milk with a hand whisker or you can use your blender to mix really well. Homemade khoya will be soft and easy to blend. Get the method of making khoya here. But if you are using store bought khoya or mawa, grate the khoya before using.
2. Lightly crush the fennel seeds or sounf in a mortar pestle.
3. In a large bowl whisk maida or all purpose flour gradually with khoya and milk mixture. Don’t add all the maida in one go to avoid forming lump.
4. Add lighly crushed fennel seeds, semolina or suji and baking soda. Whisk well to make a lump free batter. Cover and keep aside for 30-40 minutes. Batter shouldn’t be thick. Make a flowing batter.
5. In a pan boil water and sugar with a pinch of saffron. Let it boil for 4 minutes. Add cardamom powder, mix and switch off the heat. If you don’t like the flavour of cardamom then add only half teaspoon cardamom powder.
6. Heat oil or ghee/clarified butter in a wok or pan. I used oil with two tablespoon ghee for flavour.
7..When oil becomes hot reduce the heat. Give a good stir to the batter. Pour a ladle full of batter in the middle of the ghee or oil. Fry on low medium heat till light golden brown from both sides and transfer on a plate. Fry all the malpua.
8. Dip the malpua in warm sugar syrup for 2-3 minutes. Press gently with a spoon to soak from both sides. Take out from the sugar syrup and arrange on a plate. Dip all the malpua this way.
9. Dip 2-3 malpua at a time and arrange on a large plate. Don’t dip in syrup for more than 2-3 minutes to soak each malpua. And remember sugar syrup should be warm.
10. Garnish with pistachios. You can also use shredded almond or grated khoya or mawa for garnishing. Serve warm or at room temperature. You can also serve malpua with rabri.
1. You can use shredded almond,cashew nuts or any dry fruits in the batter.
2. Batter should be lump free, smooth and flowing.
3. You can use only oil or ghee for frying. Or use a mixture of oil and ghee.
4. Any flavorless oil can be used for frying.
If you tried my recipe, you can share your food pictures with me in the social network sites by using hashtag, #batterupwithsujata I would love to see your creations.
I would love to hear from you. Please share your thoughts and suggestions in comment.
Please visit my facebook page and hit the like button to get the latest update