In many of my recipes I have mentioned about khoya or dried milk and paneer/cottage cheese or chhena. Today I am sharing easy method to make both khoya and chhena. I will try to add step by step picture later.
Khoya or dried milk
2 litter milk
1. Boil the milk in a heavy bottom pan.
2. Let the milk cook on low flame. Stir occasionally.
3. Scrape the sides to avoid burning.
4. Milk will be changed into a thick mass. Like this 👇
5. It can take 2 to 2:30 hours.
6. After reducing I have got 1 and 1/2 cup tightly packed khoya/mawa or dried milk from 2 litter milk.
Paneer Or Cottage Cheese
Milk – 1 litre
Lemon juice or vinegar -3 – 4
tablespoon or as require
1. Place a cheesecloth on a strainer.
2. Heat milk in a heavy bottom pan. When it starts to rolling boil remove from heat. Add lemon juice or vinegar.
3. Add 1 tablespoon at a time. Stir and add 1 tablespoon more or as require to curdle the milk completely.
4. When greenish whey and cottage cheese separates immediately pour into the strainer.
5. You can make cottage cheese with curd in same method. First add 1/4 cup curd then add as require. It will depends on the milk. You need 1/4 to 1/2 cup curd to make cottage cheese.
6. Squeeze the cloth well to drain all the water from cottage cheese.
7. Remove the cottage cheese on a large dry cloth. Wrap well and put a heavy weight on it for 2 hours.
8. Now paneer or cottage cheese will be look like this 👇
9. This cottage cheese can be use to make curry, stuffing for paratha, cutlets or make different kinds of sweets.
If you tried my recipe, you can share your food pictures with me in the social network sites by using hash tag, #batterupwithsujata
I would love to see your creations.