Shahi coconut milk pulao. A no onion garlic flavorful one pot rice dish with coconut milk, aromatic spices,fried nuts and coconut milk. Very easy to make yet absolutely delicious. Dry fruit, saffron, whole spices, ghee or clarified butter, mint and cilantro with coconut milk made this pulao absolutely shahi or royal.
Here are some more rice dishes from this blog.
11. Beetroot rice
12. Mexican rice
13. Carrot rice
14. Tricolor rice
18. Basanti pulao
20. Bengali pulao
You may also like to try Italian basil fried rice from the blog of my friend Radha Rajagopalan.
To make this aromatic and lipsmackingly delicious pulao you need only basmati rice, some dry fruits and whole spices. I have used almond and cashew nuts only. You can use raisins or any other dry fruits of your choice. If you don’t want to use whole spices add half to 1 teaspoon Pulao or biryani masala at the end to make your pulao perfectly flavorful.
Subscribe with your mail address to get all the recipes straight to your mailbox immediately after publishing.
Basmati rice – 2 cup
Cashew nuts – 3 tablespoon
Almond – 3 tablespoon
Saffron- 1/4 teaspoon + 1 tablespoon water
Green cardamom – 4
Cloves — 4
Cinnamon – 1 inch piece
Bay leaf – 2
Star anise – half
Kababchini – 4, optional
Mace or javitri – 2 strands
Cumin seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
Cumin powder – 1 teaspoon
Ginger – 1&1/2 inch piece, grated
Green chilli – 2-3 or to taste
Salt to taste
Sugar – 1 teaspoon, optional
Ghee or clarified – 2 tablespoon
Thick coconut milk – 1 cup
Water – 3 cup
Cilantro or coriander leaves – 2 tablespoon, chopped
Mint leaves – 1 tablespoon, chopped
Green peas – 1/2 cup
1. Wash the rice 4-5 times or till water runs out clear. Soak the rice in water for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes drain the water and keep aside.
2. Soak saffron in 1 tablespoon warm water.
3. Heat ghee or clarified butter in a pan or wok. Fry the cashew nuts and almond on low medium heat till light golden brown. Transfer the nuts on a plate.
4. In the same ghee add cumin seeds, lightly crushed green cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, bay leaves, star anise, mace or javitri and Kababchini if using. If you don’t want to use whole spices add half to one teaspoon biryani or pulao masala at the end or before removing from heat. Get the recipe here.
5..When seeds starts to splutter add grated ginger and chopped green chilli. Fry for a few seconds.
6. Now add drained rice, cumin powder and salt. Saute for 2 minutes. Stir the rice gently to avoid breaking the rice. Add soaked saffron and mix.
7. Add coconut milk, water, chopped cilantro or coriander leaves, mint leaves, green peas, fried cashew nuts, almond and sugar. You can also add some raisins if you want. Mix well.
8. When it starts to rolling boil reduce the heat. Cover and cook on simmer for 15 minutes. Stir once in between.
9. After 15 minutes stir the rice gently. Water should be absorbed, if not cover cover on simmer for 5 minutes again.
10. Remove from heat let it covered for 10-15 minutes. Remove the cover and fluff the rice gently. Serve hot and spicy curry or raita.
If you tried my recipe, you can share your food pictures with me in the social network sites by using hashtag, #batterupwithsujata I would love to see your creations.
I would love to hear from you. Please share your thoughts and suggestions in comment.
Please visit my facebook page and hit the like button to get the latest update