Red cabbage chickpea curry. If you bored of regular chhole masala or chickpea curry try this delectable chickpea curry with red cabbage or purple cabbage and raw turmeric. Taste and flavour is completely different from our regular chhole. This spicy tasty curry can be served with any bread or rice dishes. You can make this curry dry or with gravy both. Choice is your.
I have used red cabbage in this curry. Red cabbage also called purple cabbage because of it’s dark purple colour.
Purple cabbage is a nutrient-rich vegetable linked to a variety of health benefits. These include reduced inflammation, a healthier heart, stronger bones, improved gut function, and perhaps even a lower risk of certain cancers. This vegetable is also incredibly versatile and one of the most cost-efficient ways to add beneficial antioxidants to your diet. Healthline
Earlier shared two more red cabbage recipes here. Red cabbage and spinach salad with peanut butter and pumpkin seeds and Noodles with red cabbage.
I have also use pumpkin seeds with almond in this curry to make the curry creamy and tasty.
Pumpkin seeds may be small, but they’re packed full of valuable nutrients.Eating only a small amount of them can provide you with a substantial quantity of healthy fats, magnesium and zinc.Because of this, pumpkin seeds have been associated with several health benefits.These include improved heart health, prostate health and protection against certain cancers. To read more about health benefits of Pumpkin seeds click here.
You can also make this chickpea curry without red or purple cabbage. Taste and flavour will be great but taste and colour will be differ from with red cabbage. I also sometimes make it without red cabbage with same recipe. Here is a picture for you. You can see the difference in colour.
Red or purple cabbage gives a beautiful colour to the curry. Here are some different types of chickpea recipes from this blog.
This curry is rich creamy flavorful and delicious. You have to grind two different types of spices for this curry. First almond, pumpkin seeds, fresh grated coconut, mint leaves and peeled and chopped raw mango with 1/4 cup water. Paste should be smooth. And second make a paste of ginger, garlic, tomato, chopped raw turmeric and soaked dry red chilli with it’s water. Make a smooth paste. Ground nuts, seeds, coconut and spices will make your curry rich creamy and delicious. If you don’t have raw turmeric, use 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder.
Subscribe with your mail address to get all the recipes straight to your mailbox immediately after publishing.
Recipe video of this red cabbage chickpea curry
Chickpea- 1/2 cup
Red cabbage – 2 cup, shredded
Raw turmeric – 1/2 inch piece, peeled and chopped
Onion- 1, finely chopped
Garlic- 3-4 cloves
Ginger- 1 inch piece, peeled and chopped
Tomato – 1, chopped
Dry red chilli- 2
Cumin powder- 1 teaspoon
Coriander powder- 1 teaspoon
Fennel seeds or sounf powder- 1 teaspoon
Garam masala powder- 1/2 teaspoon
Cilantro or coriander leaves – 2 tablespoon
Mint leaves- 2 tablespoon
Raw mango – 1/4 cup, peeled and chopped into small pieces
Pumpkin seeds- 2 tablespoon
Almond – 2 tablespoon
Grated fresh coconut- 1/4 cup
Bay leaf- 1
Cumin seeds- 1/2 teaspoon
Fenugreek seeds or methi- 1/8 teaspoon
Mustard seeds- 1/4 teaspoon
Oil- 2-3 tablespoon
Salt to taste
Sugar- 1/2 teaspoon, optional
Water – 1&1/2 cup
1. Rinse and soak the chickpea overnight. Next day drain the water and wash again. Pressure cook with sufficient water till chickpea becomes soft. After one whistle pressure cook on simmer for 40-50 minutes. Let it cool down. Chop the red cabbage into this slices.
2. Soak the dry red chilli in 1/8 cup water.
3. Grind pumpkin seeds and almond into a fine powder. Add grated fresh coconut, chopped raw mango, mint leaves and 1/4 cup water. Grind into a smooth paste.
4. Separately grind ginger, garlic, raw turmeric, chopped tomato and soaked dry red chilli with its water. Grind into a smooth paste.
5. Heat oil in a pan. Add bay leaf,mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds and cumin seeds. When seeds starts to splutter add finely chopped onion and fry till onion starts to change it’s colour.
6. Now add ginger, garlic, tomato, turmeric and dry red chilli paste. Fry till raw smell of garlic and turmeric goes away and oil leaves the sides. If you don’t have raw turmeric, use 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder.
7. Add shredded red cabbage and saute for 2 minutes. Add chopped cilantro or coriander. Saute again for a minute. Now add salt and all the spices.
8. Saute till everything dried up. Add boiled chickpea and saute till all the water evaporate.
9. Add pumpkin seeds, almond, raw mango, coconut and mint leaves paste. Saute till everything dried up. Now add water and sugar. Cook till you get your desired consistency. You can make this with gravy or dry curry both. Gravy also taste great. But today I made it dry. So when it about to dried up remove from heat. Taste and adjust salt if required.
10. Your rich creamy aromatic and lipsmackingly delicious curry is ready to serve. Garnish with cilantro and mint leaves. Serve with any bread or rice dishes.
1. If you want you can also make this curry with only chickpea. Skip red cabbage and enjoy rich creamy spicy scrumptious chickpea curry.
2. This curry can be made dry and with gravy both. Try both ways or make according to your choice.
Linking this recipe to Facebook gourmet group Shhhhh Cooking Secretly Challenge. In this monthly group members are paired with different partners every month and two secret ingredients are given to each other. We paired every month with different bloggers so that we can interact each other. Sometimes we become very good friend. And after preparing the dish members share a picture of the dish and other members have to guess the ingredients. This month Mango Mania theme suggested by Mayuri Patel. I recently bookmarked her Curried chickpea stuffed sweet potato to try. This month my partner is Renu Agrawal Dongre. Renu has a wonderful blog. I have to try her No churn coffee almond icecream. Sounds interesting isn’t it?
Renu gave me turmeric and mint and I made this red cabbage chickpea curry with a different taste and flavour. I gave her oil and milk as secret ingredient. Renu shared delicious mango cake with these ingredients.
If you tried my recipe, you can share your food pictures with me in the social network sites by using hashtag, #batterupwithsujata I would love to see your creations.
I would love to hear from you. Please share your thoughts and suggestions in comment.
Please visit my facebook page and hit the like button to get the latest update