Steamed vegetable in rice cooker. Vegetables are smeared with salt and herbs and steamed on banana leaf till vegetables become fork tender. An easy to cook delicious flavorful and nutritious dish without any oil.
You can enjoy these steamed vegetables on it’s own as a salad or main dish. Or you can also serve this with white sauce. Slightly crunchy and flavorful vegetables taste wonderful. I have served it with grilled paneer or cottage cheese and white sauce.
I have placed the vegetables on banana leaf before steaming. Vegetables release juice while steaming. We don’t want to discard the nutritios juice of vegetables, right? So place any edible leaf under the vegetables. Or you can cook your rice or any other dishes under vegetable basket so that juice of vegetables will mix into the dish below.
I have used mushrooms, broccoli, French beans, carrots, cauliflower, baby corn, sweet corn and green peas and seasoned with rock salt, garlic powder, black pepper powder and oregano. You can use any herbs of your choice. If you don’t have rock salt, use any salt instead. You can also use any vegetable of your choice. Add vegetables less or more according to your taste.
So here is the recipe as I made this steamed vegetables. My daughter and I love this steamed vegetables as main dish. I gave the measurement of vegetables as we like. You can always use more or less according to your taste. Or you can also use any vegetable of your choice. I like my vegetables in stripes but you can chop the vegetables in small cubes or in round shape. Small sized vegetables will cook quickly. Chop the vegetables in your desired size and shape. As I mentioned above that you can use any herbs of your choice. You can also use Indian spices if you want.
Subscribe with your mail address to get all the recipes straight to your mailbox immediately after publishing.
Mushroom – 250 gram
Broccoli – 1
French beans – 1 cup, chopped
Cauliflower – a few florets
Baby corn – 10
Sweet corn – 3/4 cup
Green peas – 1/2 cup
Black pepper powder
1. Wash all the vegetables well. Cut the broccoli into medium size florets. Chop the carrots into stripes. You can also chop the carrots into small round pieces or in cubes.
2. Cut the mushrooms and baby corn into half. You can also chop the baby corn into thin slices by cutting lengthwise. Chop the French beans into long pieces. Chop the cauliflower into small florets. You can use more cauliflower florets if you like.
3. Marinate all the vegetables separately with rock salt, garlic powder, oregano and black pepper powder. You can marinate the vegetables altogether. But I have mixed the seasoning separately with all the vegetables because some of my family members don’t like mushrooms. If you marinate and place the vegetables separately in steamer basket everyone can enjoy their favourite vegetable.
4. Wash a banana leaf with running water. Place the banana leaf in steamer basket. You can steam the vegetables without banana leaf but I don’t like to waste the juice of vegetables which released while steaming. You can use any edible leaves instead of banana leaf. Or you can cook your rice under the vegetables. Place all the marinated vegetables, sweet corn and green peas over the banana leaf in steamer basket.
5. Pour 4 cup water in the rice cooker. Cover and heat the water on cooking mode. It will take 4-5 minutes to boil the water.
6. When water starts to boil remove the lid and place the steamer basket with vegetables on the rice cooker. Cover and steam for 10- 15 minutes or until the vegetables become fork tender.
7. Check after 10 minutes. Mine are perfectly steamed after 12 minutes. Vegetables should be little crunchy.
8. You can steam the vegetables on stove top but remember water shouldn’t touch the steamer basket while steaming. Taste and add more seasoning if required. Enjoy the hot delicious and nutritious steamed vegetable. You can add a dash of lemon juice before serving. Or you can also serve this steamed vegetables with white sauce.
1. You can use any vegetable of your choice.
2. Any herbs can be used for seasoning.
3. You can use any salt instead of rock salt.
4. Use vegetables less or more according to your taste.
5. You can also use Indian spices to marinate the vegetables.
6. You can chop the vegetables according to your desired size and shape.
If you tried my recipe, you can share your food pictures with me in the social network sites by using hashtag, #batterupwithsujata I would love to see your creations.
I would love to hear from you. Please share your thoughts and suggestions in comment.
Please visit my facebook page and hit the like button to get the latest update