Sri Lankan egg curry. A spicy aromatic and lipsmackingly delicious curry from Sri Lankan cuisine. If you’re bored of your regular egg curry then try this egg curry with a completely different taste and flavour.
Coconut milk and spices made this curry superbly delicious. I always love to use aromatic spices. And this curry is absolutely flavorful and mouthwatering. Usually Srilankan curry powder, fish flakes and pandarus leaves are used in this curry. But I don’t have these ingredients. So I used all the spices of Sri lankan curry powder separately. And skipped pandarus leaves and fish flakes. Believe me taste is too good.
Earlier shared some more egg curry recipes on this blog.
. Dim kosha or spicy egg curry
. Dim posto or eggs in poppy seeds gravy
. Kerala egg roast with potato
And you may also like to try South Indian turnip curry from Priya Iyer. I am going to try it soon.
I don’t like my curry too hot. But if you like the curry more spicy and hot then you can use 1-2 chopped green chilli. I have used whole dry red chilli for tempering. To make the curry more spicy break or chop the red chilli into 2-3 pieces. Don’t skip the powdered spices. These spices will make your curry flavorful and delicious.
Subscribe with your mail address to get all the recipes straight to your mailbox immediately after publishing.
Egg – 3-4, hard boiled
Onion – 1 large, thinly sliced
Garlic – 3 cloves, minced or grated
Ginger – 1 inch piece, grated
Tomato – 2 medium, finely chopped
Mustard seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
Curry leaves – 1 spring
Dry red chilli – 2
Fennel or sounf powder – 1 teaspoon
Cumin powder – 1 teaspoon
Coriander powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Red chilli powder – 1 teaspoon
Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Cardamom powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Cinnamon powder – 1/4 teaspoon
Cloves powder – 1/8 teaspoon
Mace or javitri powder – 1/8 teaspoon
Salt to taste
Red chilli powder – 1/2 teaspoon or to taste
Thick coconut milk – 1 cup
Water – 1/4
cup Oil – 3 tablespoon
Cilantro or coriander leaves for garnishing
1. Peel the hard boiled eggs. Make some slit on the eggs with a knife.
2. Heat oil in a pan. Fry the eggs till light golden brown and remove from oil.
3. In the same oil add mustard seeds. When mustard seeds starts to splutter add dry red chilli and curry leaves. You can chop or break the dry red chilli in 2-3 pieces, if you want to make your curry hot.
4. Now add garlic and sliced onion. You can also add 1-2 chopped green chilli with sliced onion if you want.
5. When onion becomes light brown add tomatoes, salt and all the spice powder. Saute till tomato becomes mushy.
6. Add coconut water and water. Add a few finely chopped curry leaves. Let it boil. You can also add 1-2 slit green chili if you want.
7. When it starts to rolling boil add the eggs and reduce the heat. Cover the pan and cook on simmer for 5-6 minutes.
8. Switch off the heat. Garnish with cilantro or coriander leaves. Serve hot with steamed rice, Pulao, Barista fried rice, Bengali pulao, Fried rice, or any bread.
Recipe note – Use chilli according to your spice tolerance.
If you tried my recipe, you can share your food pictures with me in the social network sites by using hashtag, #batterupwithsujata I would love to see your creations.
I would love to hear from you. Please share your thoughts and suggestions in comment.
Please visit my facebook page and hit the like button to get the latest update
Love the vibrant color of this Sri Lankan Egg Curry. With Sri Lankan curry powder spices and coconut milk, I am sure the curry is aromatic and flavorful!
Priya Vj says
Srilankan egg curry sounds like a perfect treat for all the egg lovers . Love the way you have plated the curry. It is so appealing
Srilankan egg curry is so flavourful and Delish. The curry powder adds a distinct taste to this curry. Fabulous treat for all egg lovers.
Alicia from Nourishing Foods.Tasty Meals says
Got it. Definitely going to try. It looks awesome!
Batter Up With Sujata says
Thank you so much. Please do try and let me know how it turns out!
The Girl Next Door says
Sri Lankan Egg Curry looks so perfectly made and delicious. I’m sure the various spice powders – fennel, cumin, mace, coriander, etc – must have added so much of flavour to this dish. Beautifully presented dish.
Sasmita Sahoo says
Srilankan egg curry looks so tempting.
Coconut milk and spices must be making this curry superbly delicious. Nice pick from the Srilankan cuisine