Casatiello or stuffed savoury bread. A delicious and soft bread stuffed with butter fried mushrooms. Casatiello is a famous Italian Easter bread usually topped with eggs and stuffud with meat and cheese. But I made it without eggs and meat. An absolutely delicious Easter bread for vegetarian people. Serve it warm or room temperature and enjoy the heavenly taste. And it will be finished so fast so get ready to make it again as I did.
Casatiello is ring-shaped stuffed bread topped with eggs which has been an iconic Easter treat for more than 400 years. The ring-shape is symbolic of the crown of thorns worn by Jesus during the crucifixion and the eggs represent Jesus’s rebirth. It is the perfect dish to pack for the tradition of picnicking on Easter Monday (Pasquetta). The dough is usually made on Good Friday, left to rise overnight and baked the next morning. Source
I have followed my Whole wheat milk bread recipe with some changes.
You can subscribe to our newsletter to get all the recipes immediately after publishing.
Linking this recipe to Facebook gourmet group Shhhhh Cooking Secretly Challenge. In this monthly group members are paired with different partners every month and two secret ingredients are given to each other. We have to use these ingredients in our recipe. This month Easter bread theme suggested by Renu Agrawal Dongre who blog at Cook With Renu. Renu has a vast collection of baked recipes along with different varieties of savoury and sweet recipes. List is too long but I have to try her Easter bunny buns first. Renu shared Paska Easter bread and muffins recipe for this theme.
This month my partner is Mayuri Patel who blog at Mayuris Jikoni. She is also a wonderful baker and her blog is a treasure of traditional Gujarati recipes with numerous mouthwatering continental recipes. I always love her baking skill and her vast collection of baked dishes. I have bookmarked her Brazilian carrot cake to try soon. Mayuri gave me rosemary and mushroom and I used both of these ingredients in stuffing of this delectable bread. And I gave Mayuri Milk and orange zest. Check out the delicious German Easter bread recipe on her space with these ingredients.
When I make this ring shaped stuffed bread, I have only four mushrooms. But while making second time on my kids demand used 200 gram mushrooms.
And made the bread in loaf pan. Both are equally delicious but ring shaped is looking more attractive. Sharing both methods here.
As I said I have followed my Whole wheat milk bread recipe with some changes. Used all purpose flour or maida instead of whole wheat flour. I love the texture of milk bread. Milk bread are more soft than the bread kneaded with water. So used warm milk for kneading the dough. You have to knead the dough really well. Adopted the method from here. I have cheddar cheese powder so used it but you can skip it if you don’t have. Or for more cheesy taste you can also add cheese powder in the dough. Mix cheese powder with flour before kneading.
Watch video recipe of this super soft stuffed bread.
All purpose flour or maida – 3 cup +for dusting
Yeast – 1&1/2 teaspoon
Sugar – 1 tablespoon
Salt – 1&3/4 teaspoon
Milk powder – 2 tablespoon
Vinegar – 1&1/2 tablespoon
Olive oil – 2 tablespoon + for greasing
Warm milk – 1&1/4 cup
Mushroom – 4, finely chopped
Butter – 1 tablespoon
Oil – 1 teaspoon
Garlic powder – 1 teaspoon
Oregano – 1 teaspoon
Dried rosemary – 1/2 teaspoon
Pizza sauce – 2 tablespoon or as required
Cheddar cheese powder – 3 – 4 tablespoon, optional
Diced or grated cheese – 1/4 cup
Red chilli flakes – 1/4 teaspoon, optional
1. Heat butter and oil in a pan. Add mushrooms, garlic powder, oregano, rosemary and red chilli flakes if using. You can also add black pepper powder instead of red chilli flakes. Saute till mushrooms completely dried up and changed it’s colour. Remove from heat and let it cool down. I have only 4 mushrooms so I used it. You can use more mushroom. Sharing the second method below this recipe.
2. You can use minced garlic instead of garlic powder. Fry the minced garlic before adding mushrooms and other ingredients in the oil. For more stuffing options see notes.
3. In a bowl mix 1/4 cup warm milk, yeast and sugar. Stir well. Cover and keep in a warm place for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes it will becomes foamy. Milk should be warm not hot.
4. In a large bowl mix flour, salt, olive oil, vinegar and milk powder. Mix well. Make a hole in the middle and pour the yeast mixture. Add 1 cup warm milk and mix well. Knead the dough well. You can use your food processor for easy kneading. This time I used dough hook of my hand mixer. If you are using kneading machine knead the dough for 5-6 minutes. Or to knead with hand, sprinkle little flour on your cleaned kitchen counter and place the dough on it. Knead the dough for 9-10 minutes. Knead the dough by pressing with your palm and heel of your palm by pushing and stretching. Now after kneading well make a ball with the dough.
5. Grease a bowl generously. Smear the dough with oil and place in the greased bowl. Cover with kitchen napkin and keep in a warm place for an hour or till the dough becomes double. Timing depends on the temperature of your place. Its summer time here so 1 hour is sufficient. I kept the dough in my oven.
6. After 1 hour punch down the dough and knead again. Flatten the dough with a rolling pin or your oil greased palm. Roll or press the dough into flat and rectangular. Spread pizza sauce all over it. Sprinkle cheddar cheese powder over the sauce. Spread mushroom and grated or diced cheese. I used Amul diced mozzarella and cheddar cheese blend.
7. Now start rolling it from the longest side. After rolling place it in the greased bundt pan. Pinch the seam well. Cover the pan with a kitchen napkin and place in a warm place for 30 minutes or until it becomes double.
8. Preheat the oven at 190°. Bake for 40- 45 minutes. I have used my Samsung microwave. For microwave set hot blast function at 170° and press start. Your oven will start to preheat.
9. After preheating bake the bread for 25-30 minutes. Or until bread becomes golden brown. My bread was perfectly baked in 24 minutes. Take out the bread from oven and brush with melted butter. Invert the bread on a cooling rack or plate.
9. Slice and serve warm or at room temperature.
Second method with more stuffing
1. For staffing Follow the above recipe but use 200 gram finely chopped mushroom, 1&1/2 tablespoon butter, 1&1/2 teaspoon Oregano, 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, 1/2 teaspoon red chilli flakes and 2 teaspoon Garlic powder. Add garlic powder more or less as you like. Make the stuffing as above recipe. You can also use black pepper powder instead of red chilli flakes.
2. Process of making dough is same as above recipe. After first proofing roll the dough into flat and rectangular. Spread pizza sauce, cheddar cheese powder, butter fried mushrooms and then grated or diced cheese.
3. Now start rolling from shorter side. Pinch the seam well. Roll as this Herbed milk bread recipe .
4. Place in a oil greased loaf pan and cover with kitchen napkin. Place in a warm place for 30 minutes or until it becomes double. Bake the bread as above. Slice and enjoy.
1. You can add chopped hard boiled eggs in the stuffing.
2. Any stuffing can be used in this bread like minced meat, paneer or cottage cheese, eggs, sweet corn, peas or any vegetables of your choice. You can also use paneer bhurji, egg bhurji or scrambled eggs for stuffing.
If you tried my recipe, you can share your food pictures with me in the social network sites by using hashtag, #batterupwithsujata I would love to see your creations.
I would love to hear from you. Please share your thoughts and suggestions in comment.
Please visit my facebook page and hit the like button to get the latest update
A wonderful Easter time bake, Sujata. Like how you have replaced the meat stuffing for Castiello with mushrooms. I can imagine how flavorful it is with pizza sauce and cheese.
Renu Agrawal Dongre says
Now that is an interesting bake and especially for Vegetarians like me with Mushroom stuffing. The texture of the bread looks so good and this would be good for a meal for me with some hot soup or coffee on the side.
Mildly Indian says
Very very interesting stuffed bread recipe here. I love the mushroom filling and the swirls and look amazing. I may have the whole thing in one sitting.
Fabulous bake . Casatiello/ Stuffed Savoury Bread Looks so tempting . Love the mushroom stuffing. Lovely recipe for savoury bread lovers like me.
I love Savory bakes more than the sweet version. This one stuffed with mushrooms sounds absolutely flavorful , especially with the cheese and pizza sauce going in.
Anu Kollon says
Such a wonderful bake Sujata. I am sure this bread will taste amazing with mushroom stuffing, pizza sauce and cheese. I wish to try this and I believe my kids will love it.
Such a beautifully baked savoury bread. I love savoury bread rather than sweets ones. Definitely, i am going to try this as my daughter also loves stuffed bread.
Batter Up With Sujata says
Thanks a lot Pavani!
Savory bread is an absolute favorite for us than sweet ones. Perfectly baked easter bread with veg stuffing. The texture of the bread looks so good.
Batter Up With Sujata says