Mupotohayi or chimodho or cornmeal bread from Zimbabwe. Gluten free and eggless cornmeal bread. Instead of all purpose flour I have used soybean flour and oatmeal with cornmeal. Usually this bread is served with jam or butter. I have served with mixed fruit jam and peach spread from Pushpita.
This cornmeal bread is a very common bread of Zimbabwe. It was popular in 80’s and 90’s. Traditionally this bread was used to prepared on stove top or in a potjie or caldron ( a metal pot with a lid and handle) over a fire. Baking method seems to have popular later.
Earlier I have followed this recipe.
but halved the recipe to make a small bread.This time I have made as original recipe. Just made it gluten free and eggless. This bread requires 1 egg. I have used flaxseed powder instead of egg. And used oatmeal and soybean flour instead of all purpose flour.
This Monday our 224 #Foodiemonday bloghop theme is Due South suggested by Kalyani Sri who blog at Sizzling Taste Buds. Do visit her space for many wonderful recipes. Kalyani has a vast collection of interesting recipes. I have recently bookmarked her Baked broccoli casserole to try. And I have a long list of mouthwatering recipes from her blog.
So this week we bloghop members sharing different recipes from Southern hemisphere.
Southern Hemisphere is the half of the earth that is south of the equator. It includes all or parts of five continents. I have made this cornbread earlier from Zimbabwe and loved the taste.
I have used oatmeal and soybean flour instead of all purpose flour or maida. And these flour needs more moisture than all purpose flour so I have also added some milk to make a thick batter. You can also use all purpose flour instead of oatmeal and soybean flour or use only soybean flour or oatmeal with cornmeal. Serve with butter or jam. We also enjoyed it with chilled custard, just toasted cornmeal bread pieces to make crisp in halogen oven.
Cornmeal – 1 & 1/4 cup
Soybean flour – 1 & 1/4 cup
Oatmeal – 1/4 cup
Sugar – 1/4 cup
Oil – 1/2 cup
Flaxseed powder – 1 tablespoon
Water – 2 & 1/2 tablespoon
Buttermilk – 1 cup
Baking powder – 1 teaspoon
Baking soda – 1/2 teaspoon
Milk – 1/2 cup
1. Preheat the oven at 180°.
2. Grease a square baking pan or a loaf pan with oil and dust with flour or line with parchment paper.
3. In a bowl mix flaxseed powder and water. Mix well and keep aside for 10-15 minutes.
4. In a bowl mix cornmeal, oatmeal, soybean flour, baking powder and baking soda.
5. In a large bowl whisk buttermilk, flaxseed mixed water, oil and sugar.
Now add all the dry ingredients and mix.
6. Add milk slowly to make a thick batter. Don’t add all the milk. You may need 1-2 tablespoon more or less milk.
Pour the batter into the greased and flour dusted baking pan.
7. Bake in preheated oven at 180° for 40 – 45 minute or until toothpick comes out clean. Insert a toothpick in the center to check.
8. Slice and serve warm or room temperature with butter or jam.
1. Recipe adopted from here.
2. You can use all purpose flour instead of oatmeal and soybean flour. Or only soybean flour or only oatmeal with cornmeal can be used in the bread. If you are using all purpose flour with cornmeal then omit milk.
3. 1 beaten egg can be used instead of flaxseed powder mixed water.
If you tried my recipe, you can share your food pictures with me in the social network sites by using hashtag, #batterupwithsujata
I would love to see your creations.