Red lentil soup.
A delicious comforting and flavourful soup. Very easy to make and nutritious. Serve it as a comforting meal with a dash of lemon juice or serve it with rice or bread.
Earlier made a Lebanese lentil soup with whole red lentils and loved the taste so tried this with red lentils. Its equally delicious.
You may like some more lentil recipes in this blog.
Whole Masoor dal or brown or red lentils
Red lentil fritters in sour gravy
Red lentils, also known as Masoor dal, are an extremely popular lentil in India. They are grown all over the country and consumed for their various health benefits. Red lentils are extremely good for your skin and can prevent issues like rapid ageing and acne. They can also be used to lighten the skin and get rid of tans. Red lentils promote weight loss and are very good for your digestion due to the high amounts of fiber present in this lentil. It is good for diabetics as it regulates the random spikes and drops in the glucose level in the blood. It is abundantly rich in proteins and minerals, which help boost various systems in your body. It is very good for your bones, teeth, and eyesight because of this. It can reduce the risk of cancer due to its anticancer properties and is known for reducing bowel, colon, lung, and breast cancer risks. Moreover, due to its high antioxidant content, it is very beneficial for your immune system and can help prevent a ton of diseases and infections.
Read more about red lentil here.
This lemon flavoured lentil soup is very easy to make. You can use your pressure cooker to make it. But better to cook in open pot for taste. Soup will be more tasty if you will cook it in open pot.
Red lentils or Masoor dal – 1 cup
Carrot – 2 medium
Potato – 1, optional
Onion – 1, finely chopped
Bay leaf – 1
Garlic – 3 – 4, minced
Ginger – 1 inch piece, grated
Tomato – 1, chopped
Baby spinach – 100 gram, chopped
Cilantro or coriander leaves – handful, chopped
Cumin powder – 1 teaspoon
Turmeric powder – 1/2 cup
Dried mint leaves – 3 tablespoon, crushed
Black pepper powder – 1 teaspoon or to taste
Salt to taste
Oil – 2 tablespoon
Water – 5 cup
Lemon juice – 2 teaspoon
Zest of 1 lemon
1. Peel and cut the carrot and potato in cubes.
2. Rinse and chop the spinach.
3. Heat oil in a pan or wok. Add onion and garlic. Fry till the onion becomes translucent.
4. Add grated ginger, carrot, and potato. Saute for 2 minutes.
5. Now add spinach and tomato. Saute for 2 – 3 minutes or till the tomato becomes soft.
6. Add lentils, salt, cumin powder and black pepper powder. Mix well.
7. Add water and crushed dried mint leaves. Let it boil.
8. When it starts to rolling boil reduce the heat. Cook on low heat till lentils becomes soft. It will take 25 – 30 minutes. Don’t cover the pan.
9. When lentils becomes soft add lemon zest and lemon juice. You can add more water if require.
10. Remove from heat. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Add more lemon juice if require.
11. Garnish with mint and coriander leaves, lemon wedges and chopped tomatoes or fresh red chilli. I have used small pieces of fresh red chilli.
If you tried my recipe, you can share your food pictures with me in the social network sites by using hash tag, #batterupwithsujata
I would love to see your creations.
I would love to hear from you. Please share your thoughts and suggestions in comment.
Please visit my facebook page and hit the like button to get the latest update
Leave a Reply