Egg in poppy seeds or khas khas and tomato gravy or dim posto.
A delicious and easy to make egg dish. Dim posto is a very common dish of Bengali household. You don’t need much spices to make it.
Make a paste of poppy seeds or khas khas, green chilli and tomato, you need only salt and turmeric to make this delicious curry. I have used little kashmiri red chilli powder to add some colour, you can omit it if you want. Or you can grind 1/4 to 1/2 cup fresh grated coconut with poppy seeds and tomato to make narkol posto dim or coconut poppy seeds eggs.
You may like some more egg recipes in this blog.
6. Egg korma
Wherein a group of bloggers come together and we choose key ingredients alphabetically to cook and post a dish every alternate month. This month’s Alphabet is letter E.
Sharing an easy and quick yet delicious egg dish for letter E.
I didn’t use onion but you can add 1 thinly sliced onion. Fry the onion slices before adding ground paste. Or you can make it with only poppy seeds, green chilli, salt and turmeric powder if you want. 1/4 teaspoon onion seeds or kalonji can be added in oil as tempering or tadka. Sometimes I make it in this way. And sometimes also add fresh coconut with poppy seeds Try these ways for a change.
Egg – 3 – 4, hard boiled
Poppy seeds or khas khas – 4 tablespoon
Hot water – 1/4 cup
Tomato – 1 large
Green chilli – 2
Mustard oil – 2 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon
Dry red chilli – 1, optional
Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Kashmiri red chilli powder – 1 teaspoon, optional
Salt to taste
Water – 1 cup
1. Soak the poppy seeds or khas khas in 1/4 cup hot water for 1 hour.
2. Grind the soaked poppy seeds and green chilli. Add the tomato in the grinder and make a smooth paste of poppy seeds, green chilli and tomato.
3. Make some slits on hard boiled eggs with a knife and marinate with little salt and 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder.
4. Heat 2 tablespoon oil in a pan. Fry the eggs from all the sides till light brown and remove from oil.
5. In the same oil add dry red chilli and poppy seeds, green chilli and tomato paste.
6. Add 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder, kashmiri red chilli powder and saute till the mixture dried up completely.
7. Now add water and salt. Mix well.
8. When it starts to rolling boil slide the eggs. You can add 2 – 3 slit green chilli if you like your curry hot.
9. Cover and reduce the heat. Cook on low heat for 7 – 8 minutes.
10. Remove the cover and cook on high heat for 2 minutes or till you get the desired consistency of the gravy.
11. Add 1 teaspoon mustard oil for extra zing and mix well.
12. Remove from heat. Garnish with cilantro or coriander leaves. You can also garnish with slit green chilli.
Serve with steamed rice.
1. Thinly sliced onion can be added. Fry the onion slices before adding ground paste in the oil.
2. Tomato is optional. You can omit tomatoes and red chilli if you want. But with or without both taste great.
3. 1/4 teaspoon onion seeds or kalonji can be used for tempering or tadka.
4. You can also grind 1/4 to 1/2 fresh grated coconut with poppy seeds, green chilli and tomato to make narkol posto dim or coconut poppy seed eggs.
If you tried my recipe, you can share your food pictures with me in the social network sites by using hash tag, #batterupwithsujata
I would love to see your creations.