Sweet potato or shakarkand halwa with date palm jaggery or khajur gur. Try this easy to make dessert and enjoy the delectable taste. Sweet potato and date palm jaggery or khajur gur/Patali gur mixed taste is heavenly.
If you don’t have date palm jaggery then you can use cane jaggery, sugar or brown sugar. But date palm jaggery will taste divine. Earlier shared Sweet potato dumplings or pithe now here is one more sweet potato recipe for you. Sweet potatoes are nutrient-dense root vegetables that come in a variety of colors. They’re high in fiber and antioxidants, which protect your body from free radical damage and promote a healthy gut and brain. They’re also incredibly rich in beta-carotene, which is converted to vitamin A to support good vision and your immune system. Source
As I mentioned above you can use any sweetener instead of date palm jaggery but flavour and taste may be different. Here are some health benefits of date palm jaggery.
• Benefits of having date palm jaggery in winters.
• Relieves common ailments like cold and cough.
• Rich in nutrients.
• Helps in weight loss.
• Boosts energy.
• Treats menstrual pain.
• Restores healthy digestion.
• Eases joint pain.
To read more about date palm jaggery click here.
Try this delectable halwa and serve warm as a dessert. Normally halwa needs lots of ghee or clarified butter but to make this halwa you need only one teaspoon ghee. So you can call it a healthy treat. Don’t skip the milk to get the exact taste. You can use any dry fruits of your choice.
Sweet potato – 2, boiled
Oil – 2 tablespoon
Cashew nuts – 8
Raisins – 1 tablespoon
Date palm jaggery or khajur gur – 3 tablespoon, grated or finely chopped
Milk – 1 cup
Cardamom powder – 1/4 teaspoon
Ghee or clarified butter – 1 teaspoon
1. Peel and mash the sweet potatoes and keep aside.
2. Heat oil in a pan. Fry the cashew nuts till golden brown. Remove from oil and fry raisins in the same oil. When raisins starts to fluff up immediately remove from oil. You can also use almond or any dry fruits of your choice.
3. Add peeled and mashed sweet potatoes and saute till sweet potatoes leaves the sides. It will take about 2-3 minutes.
4. Add milk and stir continuously. When milk about to dried up add gur or jaggery, fried cashew nuts, raisins and mix well. Cook till moisture evaporate. Stir continuously.
5. Add cardamom powder and 1 teaspoon ghee. Mix well and switch off the heat.
6. Garnish with grated jaggery and fried cashew nuts. Serve warm.
If you tried my recipe, you can share your food pictures with me in the social network sites by using hashtag, #batterupwithsujata I would love to see your creations.
I would love to hear from you. Please share your thoughts and suggestions in comment.
Please visit my facebook page and hit the like button to get the latest update
Priya Vj says
Sweet potato halwa is really interesting and I have learnt such a lovely rich recipe from your blog today …
Sweet potato halwa looks so delicious di. Along with date palm jaggery this is an easy-to-make dessert as well as a healthy delectable idea to enjoy
Your Sweet potato halwa looks delicious. It’s generally made in our home when someone is fasting. I love that you have used khejur gir as sweetner. It’s such a healthy option . Will use the same whenever I make it next.
Sweet potato halwa looks scrumptious. Loved the idea of using date palm jaggery as sweetener. So rich and delicious halwa.
Jayashree T.Rao says
This sweet potato with gur is a classic dessert. I make it often as it loved by my children. Looks delicious.
Sweet potato halwa looks so delicious and we can make them during fasting. It looks like melt in mouth texture and perfect guilt free treat.
Sweet potato halwa with date palm jaggery is looking so delicious and scrumptious. Such and easy and healthy share. loving the idea of using khajur gur.
Eva Chatterji says
I will try this! I love halwa. Since no one in my family likes it with carrots maybe they will like sweet potato instead. Otherwise, more for me?
Batter Up With Sujata says
Thank you so much. Please do try, I am sure you will love the taste. Have a wonderful weekend 😊