Easy spicy pressure cooker chicken with red Jalapeno or large size fresh red chilli. A very flavourful and delicious chicken curry to serve with any type of rice or bread.
I have bought some large size red Chillies. Seller said its red Jalapeno. When used we loved the quiet different taste. The chillies are not hot at all and taste is mildly sweet with a lovely flavour. So I used these chillies in my stir fry, salad and other savoury dishes.
Normally I like to marinate the chicken before cooking but this time I have made in a hurry. So didn’t marinate and the chicken curry was absolutely delicious. So here is a super easy quick and lipsmacking chicken curry recipe for you. And I used some aromatic spices to make this curry flavorful.
Here are some more chicken recipes.
I have ground all the whole spices because I like my gravy smooth. But you can use these whole spices for tempering. Add cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, javitri or mace, Kababchini or cubeb and star anise in the hot oil before adding onion ginger garlic paste. Curry is flavorful because of all the ground whole spice. Green chilli, red chilli powder and pepper powder made the curry spicy but if you like less spicy reduce the amount of green chilli and use Kashmiri red chilli powder instead of hot variety red chilli powder.
Chicken – 500 gram
Black cardamom – 1
Green cardamom – 3 – 4
Cinnamon – 1 inch piece
Cloves – 3-4
Javitri or mace – 2 strands
Start anise – a small piece
Kababchini or cubeb – 4, optional
Green chilli – 5-6 or to taste
Garlic- 13 – 14 Cloves
Ginger- 1&1/2 Inch piece
Onion – 3, chopped
Curd – 1/2 cup, well beaten
Tomato -3, chopped
Cumin powder – 1 teaspoon
Coriander powder – 1 teaspoon
Red chilli powder- 2 teaspoon
Black pepper powder – 1 teaspoon or to taste
Cilantro or coriander leaves – 2-3 tablespoon
Oil – 4 – 5 tablespoon
Fresh large red chilli or Jalapeno – 2, optional
Nutmeg powder- 1/4 teaspoon
Turmeric powder- 1/2 teaspoon
Salt to taste
Water – 1 cup
Ghee or clarified butter – 1 tablespoon, optional
Bengali garam masala – 1/2 teaspoon, optional
1. Peel the black cardamom and take out the seeds.
2..Grind onion, garlic, ginger, green chilli, seeds of black cardamom, green cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, Kababchini, star anise and mace or javitri. Make a smooth paste.
3. Chop the Jalapeno or large red chilli.
4. Separately grind the tomatoes.
4. Heat oil in a pressure cooker. Add the paste of onion, garlic, ginger, green chilli and all the whole spices. Fry till ground spices starts to change it’s colour and oil leaves the sides.
5. Add tomato paste and saute again till oil leaves the sides. Now add cleaned and rinsed chicken pieces. Mix well.
6. Saute till chicken fried well and dried up. Add salt, cumin powder, coriander powder, nutmeg powder, turmeric powder, black pepper powder and red chilli powder. If you want less spicy used Kashmiri red chilli powder. Saute for 1 – 2 minute.
7. Add well beaten curd, Jalapeno pieces and chopped cilantro or coriander leaves. Keep stirring. Saute till oil leaves the sides.
8. Add water and mix. Pressure cook for 3 – 4 whistle or until chicken pieces becomes soft. Timing depends on the quality of chicken.
9..Let the pressure settle down on its own. Open the lid, taste and adjust the seasoning. If you want thick gravy cook for a few minutes more or until you get your desired consistency. I had slightly reduced the gravy after clicking the pictures.
10. Add ghee or clarified butter 1/2 teaspoon Bengali garam masala. You can use 1- 2 teaspoon ghee instead of 1 tablespoon if you want. Or skip the ghee completely.
11. Garnish with cilantro or coriander leaves and red chilli pieces. Serve hot with jeera rice pulao, roti, paratha, puri or any bread.
1. Use Chillies according to your taste. To make more spicy add some more green chilli. And to make less spicy use Kashmiri red chilli powder instead of hot variety red chilli powder.
2. You can also make this curry with mutton but mutton will take some more time to cook.
3. You can use the whole spices for tempering if you want.
If you tried my recipe, you can share your food pictures with me in the social network sites by using hashtag, #batterupwithsujata I would love to see your creations.
I would love to hear from you. Please share your thoughts and suggestions in comment.
Please visit my facebook page and hit the like button to get the latest update
That is one amazing, quick and easy one-pot chicken curry made in a pressure cooker. Looks so creamy and perfect to enjoy with rice or roti.
Batter Up With Sujata says
My kids love chicken curries and I am going to make this soon for them.. such a flavorful recipe.. we will love to pair it with rice.. using red jalapenos in curry is giving it a beautiful bright color. what is Kababchini or cubeb never used in masala making.. any hindi name for it
Batter Up With Sujata says
Thanks a lot dear. Glad you liked it. Cubeb is called Kababchini in Hindi. I have given picture and description in one of my post. I will send you the link.
This chicken curry looks delicious and love the fiery Jalapeño used here. Perfect to pair with rice or roti. Pressure cooker recipes saves so much time .