Easy to make pizza topped with olives, feta cheese, mozzarella cheese, tomato, olive oil and sweet corn. And the base is also flavoured and spiced up with garlic and herbs. Not refined flour, this Greek pizza is made of whole wheat flour and cornmeal.
You can use sliced capsicum, bell peppers, red onion, mushroom or grilled chicken for topping. Add topping according to your taste.
I have used garlic, black pepper and herbs in the dough to spice up the base. You can make garlic bread or bread stick with the remaining dough.
According to Wikipedia Greek pizza is a style of pizza crust and its preparation, rather than its toppings. This style is baked in a pan, instead of directly on the bricks of the pizza oven. The pan used is a shallow pan, in contrast to the deep pans used in Chicago-style deep dish pizza. The pan is heavily oiled with olive oil.
You may like one more pizza recipe on this blog.
This week’s our 215 #Foodiemonday bloghop theme is #PizzaMania suggested by one of my very dear friend and a very nice person Preethi Prasad.
who blog at Preethi Cuisine. Preethi has a wonderful blog. Visit her space for different types of mouthwatering recipes. I have recently bookmarked her Corn pudding to try. You can also get many authentic recipes on her blog.
This Greek pizza is very easy to make. If you have pizza dough ready then you can make it in a jiffy. I have made it in halogen oven. Halogen oven cooks well from the upper side and lower side remains uncooked or under baked. So if you are using halogen oven always bake the pizza base first. Then turn the base upside down and spread sauce, topping and cheese. And bake again. In OTG or microwave convection oven you have to bake at 200° whereas in halogen keep the temperature low 170° to 180°. Halogen oven cook faster than other oven so keep checking. I have set the timer for 10 minutes but my pizza baked in 5 minutes. Set the timer for 5 minutes, if required set the timer again for 2 – 3 minutes. This time I don’t have feta cheese in my pantry, so I have used powdered cheddar cheese with mozzarella cheese. But try to use feta cheese if you have for best result. I have used minimal topping, you can use topping according to your taste and availability. You can use 1 cup more whole wheat flour instead of cornmeal but cornmeal will make your pizza more crispy.
For pizza dough
Atta or wholewheat flour – 2 cup
Cornmeal – 1 cup + for dusting
Yeast – 2 teaspoon
Sugar – 1/2 teaspoon
Water – 1 and 1/4 cup or as required to make a soft dough
Salt – 1/2 teaspoon
Oil – 2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoon
Garlic powder – 2 teaspoon or to taste
Oregano – 1 teaspoon
Dried basil – 1/2 teaspoon
Black pepper powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Tomato – 1 small, sliced
Boiled sweet corn – 1 – 2 tablespoon
Sliced olive – 2 tablespoon
Chilli flakes – 1/2 teaspoon
Oregano – 1/2 teaspoon
Dried basil – 1/4 teaspoon
Mozzarella cheese – as required
Feta cheese as required
Olive oil for brushing
Cornmeal for dusting the pan
1. Take 1 cup lukewarm water in a large bowl. Water should be just warm not hot.
2. Add 1/2 teaspoon sugar and 2 teaspoon yeast. Stir well to dissolve both.
Now keep it covered for 15 minutes or until the mixture bubbled up.
3. Add salt, oil, Oregano, garlic powder, black pepper powder in the flour. Mix well with a spoon.
4. Now add yeast and sugar mixed bubbled water and knead with hand or stand mixer. Knead well and add 1/4 cup more water. Knead the dough for 5 – 6 minutes. Add 2 – 3 tablespoon water if required. I have used 2 tablespoon more water to make a smooth dough.
5. Smear the dough with 2 – 3 teaspoon oil and cover. Allow the dough to leaven for 1 hour. Or till the dough become double. If the weather is cold, it may take 2 hours.
6. Take out the dough. It will be doubled. Punch down the dough to remove the air.
7. Preheat the oven at 200 degrees for 15 minutes. If you are using halogen oven preheat for 5 minutes only.
8. Grease a baking pan and sprinkle little cornmeal.
9. Now make a small ball and roll out with a rolling pin. Make a thin disc with the help of cornmeal. Place it on the greased and cornmeal-dusted baking pan. Spread the disk with your fingers to cover the sides.
10. Brush with olive oil all over it.
Prick evenly with a fork.
12. Sprinkle grated or chopped mozzarella cheese over it. You can use as much cheese as you want.
13. Place sliced tomato, sweet corn and sliced olive. You can also use sliced onion, capsicum, bell peppers or any topping you like.
14. Sprinkle oregano, dried basil and chilli flakes. Black pepper powder or freshly crushed black pepper can be used instead of chilli flakes.
15. Spread crumbled feta cheese all over it.
16. Bake in a preheated oven for 15 minutes or until the base becomes crisp and cheese melted.
17. For halogen oven bake the base first after pricking at 180° for 4 – 5 minutes. Turn over and brush with olive oil and spread sauce, cheese and all the toppings. Bake at 170° or 180° for 5 minutes. Halogen cook faster so keep an eye. I have set the timer for 10 minutes but it baked in 5 minutes.
18. Make more pizza with the remaining dough or refrigerate for further use. You can make garlic bread or bread stick with the dough.
Slice and enjoy the homemade thin crust Greek pizza with whole wheat flour and cornmeal.
f you tried my recipe, you can share your food pictures with me in the social network sites by using hashtag, #batterupwithsujata
I would love to see your creations.