Fennel oats pearl millet cookies.
Gluten free crispy aromatic cookies with all the goodness of pearl millet or bajra, oats and jaggery. Used very little ghee or clarified butter. Perfect treat for your kiddos and you.
We have discussed a lot about millet flour and oats on my earlier posts so no more words about the health benefits of these ingredients. This time have a look at the benefits of jaggery.
Manoj K. Ahuja, Sukhda Hospital, says “It is best consumed during the winter months because winter is the season of fresh jaggery. Since it is rich in many vital vitamins and minerals, jaggery boosts immunity, keeps the body warm, helps treat cold and cough and controls the temperature of the body. This natural sweetener has been a great go-to ingredient in India since time immemorial.”
Here are 15 jaggery benefits
1. Prevents constipation
2. Detoxes the liver
3. Treats flu-like symptoms
4. Blood purifier
5. Boosts immunity
6. Cleanses the body
7. Eases menstrual pain
8. Prevents anaemia
9. Boosts intestinal health
10. Cools the stomach
11. Controls blood pressure
12. Prevents respiratory problems
13. Relieves joint pain
14. Weight loss
15. Good source of energy
These cookies are delicious with crispy crunchy texture. But if you want Mouth melting cookies just increase the amount of ghee or butter. Use 1/2 to 3/4 cup and don’t use milk. Use ghee or butter only to make smooth and soft dough. I have used little sugar but if you want you can make it with only jaggery powder. On my first try I have used 1/2 cup oats and 1/2 cup ghee. Taste is too good but cookies lose it’s shape and becomes flat. See the picture below. So tried again and very happy with the result. Reduced the amount of ghee and used 1 cup oats. Taste and shape both are excellent.
Sending this post to A to Z challenge, a challenge initiated on Facebook Group, created by Jolly
Wherein a group of bloggers come together and we choose key ingredients alphabetically to cook and post a dish every alternate month. This month’s Alphabet is letter F. I have chosen fennel seeds for this month.
Lightly dry roasted fennel seeds and cardamom made these cookies aromatic. Not only healthy and aromatic but the cookies are yummy because of dessicated coconut, fennel, cardamom and jaggery mixed taste.
Oats – 1 cup
Fennel seeds or sounf – 1 tablespoon
Pearl millet or Bajra flour – 1/2 cup
Baking powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Baking soda – 1/4 teaspoon
Desiccated coconut – 1/2 cup
Cardamom powder – 1 teaspoon
Powdered sugar – 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoon
Jaggery powder – 1/2 cup
Ghee/clarified butter or unsalted butter – 1/4 cup
Milk – 3 tablespoon or as require
1. Preheat the oven at 180° for 10 minutes.
2. Grease or line a baking tray with parchment paper.
4. Lightly dry roast fennel seeds or sounf in a pan. Remove from heat and keep aside.
5. Sieve the pear millet or Bajra flour in a bowl.
6. Grind the fennel seeds and oats altogether. Make fine powder.
7. Add dessicated coconut in the grinder and grind again.
8. Mix ground fennel seeds, oats dessicated coconut, pearl millet or Bajra flour, cardamom powder, baking powder and soda.
9. In a large bowl mix ghee or unsalted butter, powdered sugar and gur or jaggery powder. Mix well.
10. Add all the dry ingredients and 3 tablespoon milk. . Make a smooth dough. Add little more milk if require to make smooth dough.
11. Make small balls. I have made 26 cookies with this dough.
Place the balls on baking 1 inch apart.
12. Press the balls with a fork two times to make zigzag.
13. You can simply flatten the balls with your palm if you want. Or you can roll the ball with rolling pin and cut with your favourite cook cutter. You can make thin cookies if you like. But don’t make too thin.
14. Bake in the preheated oven at 180° on middle rack for 12 – 15 minutes or till the edges becomes brown.
15. Let the cookies cool down completely before serving. Cookies will soft when hot and become crisp after cooling. Store in a airtight container for later use.
Happy baking 😊
1. Whole wheat refined or any flour can be used instead of pear millet and oats.
2. You can make these cookies with only jaggery. Omit powdered sugar and increase the amount of jaggery powder.
3. If you want Mouth melting cookies skip milk and use only ghee or butter to make the dough.
4. You can add tutti fruity dry fruits or choco chips in the dough if you want.
If you tried my recipe, you can share your food pictures with me in the social network sites by using hash tag, #batterupwithsujata
I would love to see your creations.