Lemony dal or red lentil. A very easy to make and delicious dal with lemon. A perfect dish for winter. You can also serve this piping hot dal as soup with toasted bread and your dinner is sorted.
Here are some more different types of dal and lentil soup recipes from this blog. Sharing the links below.
3. Dal rasam
4. Dal makhani
7. Beetroot dal
9. Dal palak
10. Sprouts sundal
11. Egg dal tadka
13. Red lentil soup
And you may also like to try Andhra style tomato dal from the blog of my blogger friend Priya Iyer.
Now here is the recipe of an absolutely delicious dal with different taste and flavour. This protein rich dal can be served hot as soup. Try and enjoy as a side or soup, choice is your. You can make this dal thick or thin both. Keep the consistency according to your taste. You need some very simple and easily available ingredients to make this mouthwatering lemony dal or soup.
I have used one spring onion/onion green or scallion. Fried the lower part of the scallion with onion garlic and used green part for garnishing. But you can use more scallion if you want. You can also use more garlic if you like garlicky flavour. I have used one slit green chilli for flavour and to get slightly spicy taste. You can skip it if you want. Add black pepper powder according to your spice tolerance. You can also use cilantro or fresh coriander leaves in the dal if you like. You can use vegetable stock or chicken stock instead of water.
Subscribe with your mail address to get all the recipes straight to your mailbox immediately after publishing.
Masoor dal or red lentil – 1/2 cup
Onion – 2 medium
Garlic – 3-4 cloves, minced or grated
Cumin powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Coriander powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
Lemon juice – 2 tablespoon
Salt – 2 teaspoon or to taste
Black pepper – 1 teaspoon or to taste
Slit green chilli – 1, optional
Olive oil – 2 tablespoon
Water – 4 cup
Scallion or spring onion – 1
Freshly ground black pepper to sprinkle
Lemon slices and onion green or scallion to garnish
1. Rinse the masoor dal or red lentil well. Drain the water and keep aside.
2. Chop the lower part of the scallion or onion green. Peel and chop the onions. Also chop the remaining green part of scallion and keep aside. We will use it for garnishing.
3..Heat oil in a pan or wok or pan. You can also use pressure cooker to make the dal in less time. Add chopped onion and garlic. Also add the lower part of the scallion. Fry till onion becomes brown.
4. Add dal or red lentil, salt, black pepper powder,cumin powder and coriander powder. Saute for 2 minutes.
5. Add water and when it starts to rolling boil reduce the heat. Cover and cook on simmer for 25-30 minutes or till lentil becomes soft. Don’t forget to check in-between. Check and stir in regular interval. Add more water if required. Add more or less water to get your desired consistency. If you want your dal thin add more water and for thick dal use less water.
6. When dal or lentil becomes soft add lemon juice. Increase the flame and boil for a minute. Taste and adjust salt, black pepper and lemon juice if require. Remove from heat.
7. Garnish with lemon slices, freshly ground black pepper and chopped scallion or onion green. Serve hot.
1. You can use any oil instead of olive oil.
2. Vegetable or chicken stock can be used instead of water.
3. You can use cilantro or fresh coriander leaves in the dal if you like.
4. Add black pepper powder and green chilli according to your spice tolerance.
If you tried my recipe, you can share your food pictures with me in the social network sites by using hashtag, #batterupwithsujata I would love to see your creations.
I would love to hear from you. Please share your thoughts and suggestions in comment.
Please visit my facebook page and hit the like button to get the latest update