Herbed milk bread stuffed with sriracha sauce and Italian herbs. A super soft, flavorful and delicious bread with honey. For a change add grated cheese in the stuffing. You don’t need anything with it. Just slice and enjoy as a snack with your tea or coffee. Or make crisp toast and serve.
I have used warm milk to knead the dough because I love the soft texture of milk bread. But if you want to make it for vegan people use warm water instead of milk. I love this soft spicy bread as a snack. And for breakfast crisp toast.
You may like some more bread recipes on this blog. Click on the name below for recipes.
This post is my contribution to Facebook group Healthy Wealthy Cuisine for Wheat Flour Savoury Baking theme suggested by Sasmita who blog at First Timer Cook. I always love her blog with beautiful pictures. Do visit her space for many healthy and delicious recipes. I am sure you will love her wonderful blog. I recently bookmarked her Eggless chocolate piped cookies and Vegan orange blueberry mini bundt cake to try. Check out the recipes of my fellow bloggers shared for this theme.
This bread is also made of whole wheat flour or atta but I also used 1 cup all purpose flour/maida for better texture. If you like you can skip all purpose flour/maida and use only whole wheat flour. Just increase the amount of whole wheat flour. I have used my most favourite sriracha sauce but you can use any chili garlic sauce or use green chutney or any chutney of your choice. For spreading chopped cilantro or coriander leaves, parsley, rosemary or any herbs can be used over sauce or chutney. Choice is your.
Whole wheat flour or atta – 2 cup
All purpose flour or maida – 1 cup
Dry yeast – 1 & 1/2 teaspoon
Honey – 1 tablespoon
Salt – 1 & 3/4 teaspoon
Vinegar – 1 & 1/2 tablespoon
Milk powder – 2 tablespoon
Olive oil – 2 tablespoon + for greasing
Warm milk – 1 & 1/2 cup
Sriracha sauce – 2 tablespoon
Oregano – 2 teaspoon
Dried basil – 1 teaspoon
1. Mix yeast in 1/4 cup warm milk. Milk should be warm not hot. Add honey and stir well. Cover and keep in a warm place for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes it will becomes foamy.
2. In a large bowl mix whole wheat flour, all purpose flour, milk powder, salt, vinegar and oil. Mix well. If you want to add cheese in the stuffing then use 1 teaspoon salt only.
3. Make a hole in the middle and pour the yeast mixture and 1 cup slightly warm milk. Mix well. Knead the dough using remaining 1/4 cup warm milk. Add water as require to make soft and smooth dough. Dough will be sticky.
4. Sprinkle little flour on your cleaned kitchen counter and place the dough on it. Knead the dough for 8 – 10 minutes. You can use your kneading machine to knead the dough in less time. It will take 5 minutes in kneading machine.
5. Knead the dough by pressing with your palm and heel of your palm by pushing and stretching. Gather the dough and stretch it again. After kneading well dough will becomes less sticky. Make a ball with the dough and drop few times on the kitchen counter. Don’t use too much flour. Add little oil for easy kneading and make the dough non sticky.
6. Grease a bowl generously. Smear the dough with oil and place in the greased bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and keep in a warm place for an hour or till the dough becomes double. Timing depends on the temperature of your place. Its summer time here so 1 hour is sufficient.
7. Grease baking pan and keep aside.
8. After 1 hour punch down the dough and knead again.
9. Flatten the dough with a rolling pin or your oil greased palm. Roll or press the dough into flat and rectangular.
10. Spread sriracha sauce all over it. Sprinkle oregano and basil. You can use any herbs of your choice. You can also spread some grated cheese. See notes for more options.
11. Start rolling it from shortest side. After rolling pinch the seam well.
12. Turn the roll upside down. Cut the roll lengthwise from the center. Rotate both the pieces to place cut sides facing upwards. Place both pieces side by side.
13. Now make a braid with both pieces by overlapping each other. Place one side piece on other side piece.
14. Repeat the process and pinch the both ends. I have cut the braid into half. You can make half before rolling the dough. Make two separate rolls. Place the rolls carefully in greased baking pan or loaf pan.
15. Cover and keep aside for 30 minutes or till it becomes double.
16. Preheat the oven at 190° for 10 minutes. Bake the braided bread in preheated oven for 40 – 50 minutes or bread becomes golden brown.
17. Take out the bread from oven and place on cooling rack.
18. Slice the bread after 1 – 2 hours or when the bread become completely cool.
1. You can use any grated cheese in stuffing.
2. You can use rosemary, parsley, chopped cilantro or coriander leaves, mint or any herbs of your choice.
3. Schezwan sauce, pizza sauce or any chili garlic sauce can be used instead of sriracha sauce. Even you can use green chutney or any chutney of your choice.
4. You can use water instead of milk.
If you tried my recipe, you can share your food pictures with me in the social network sites by using hashtag, #batterupwithsujata I would love to see your creations.
I would love to hear from you. Please share your thoughts and suggestions in comment.
Please visit my facebook page and hit the like button to get the latest update