Rosti or you can call it potato pancake. Easy to make and perfect for breakfast or side dish.
According to Wikipedia
Rösti or röschti is a Swiss dish consisting mainly of potatoes, in the style of a fritter. It was originally a breakfast dish, commonly eaten by farmers in the canton of Bern, but is now eaten all over Switzerland and around the world. The French name röstis bernois makes direct reference to the origins of the dish.
This week our 172 #Foodiemonday bloghop theme is #InternationalFeast.
This week Mayuri Patel who blog at Mayuri’s Jikoni suggested the theme.
Mayuri suggested World Cuisine for this week. So the country we have to choose a dish from to make should begin with our name’s first letter. Interesting isn’t it ☺️
I have chosen beautiful country Switzerland famous for it’s chocolate. And the dish name is Rosti begin with the first letter of my nick name ha ha no its not in the rule but when I was searching for recipes noticed this easy to make potato pancake rosti. I loved the recipe.
Adopted the recipe from
the spruce Eats. This Swiss rosti recipe is very simple. You can add onion, parsley paprika, nutmeg etc.
But I have made it with only salt and pepper. Next time I will try with green chilli, cilantro and some Indian spices. I am sure it will be also taste great with any seasoning.
I have tried to make it little thin but if you want to make perfect round shaped rosti follow the exact recipe.
Recipe credit – the spruce Eats
Potatoes – 4
Salt – 1 & 1/2 teaspoon
Black pepper powder – 1/2 teaspoon or to taste
Olive oil or butter – 3 – 4 tablespoon
1. Peel and wash the potatoes.
2. Grate the potatoes. Use a grater with big holes. Fine grater would make your potatoes mushy.
3. Add 1 teaspoon salt in the grated potatoes and mix well. Keep aside for 5 – 6 minutes.
4. Take a fistful grated potato, press tightly and squeeze well. This way squeeze all the grated potatoes and place in a bowl.
5. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt and black pepper. Mix well. You can add ground paprika, finely chopped onion or parsley. Or add chopped green chilli, chaat masala, cumin powder and handful chopped coriander leaves or cilantro.
6. Heat half of the oil or butter in a pan. You can also use any vegetable oil. When the oil becomes hot, add grated potatoes in it. Add small amount at a time. Add potatoes about 1 inch deep. Add the potatoes till the bottom part of the pan fully covered.
7. Cook on medium heat. Stir and cook for a minute with a spatula to coat the potatoes with olive oil or butter.
9. Spread the potatoes in the pan and press with a spatula.
10. Press gently with spatula to make the layer evenly. Cook on medium heat.
11. Cook for 10 minutes. Now cover and cook again for 5 – 10 minutes or till the bottom part becomes golden brown.
12. Now place a plate on the top of the pan and transfer it on the plate.
13. Add remaining oil or butter in the pan. When it becomes enough hot slide potato pancake in the pan cooked side up. Press down with a spatula.
14. Cook it for about 15 minutes or until the bottom side becomes golden brown. You can make small sized rosti if you like. I have made one small individual sized.
15. Swiss potato rosti is ready to serve. Transfer the rosti on a plate. Sprinkle salt and pepper if require.
14. Slice and serve hot.
1. You can boil and peel the potatoes and refrigerate overnight. Next day grate just before making rosti.
2. You can add finely chopped onion and green chilli with grated potatoes if you like.
If you tried my recipe, you can share your food pictures with me in the social network sites by using hash tag, #batterupwithsujata
I would love to see your creations.
I would love to hear from you. Please share your thoughts and suggestions in comment.