￼Stuffed steamed broad beans or Hyacinth beans. A no onion garlic recipe.
Broad beans called sheem, sem, hyacinth beans or butter beans.
Hyacinth beans are copper and iron rich vegetable.
According to Wikipedia, it is native to Africa and it is cultivated throughout the tropics for food. English language common names include hyacinth bean, lablab-bean bonavist bean/pea, dolichos bean, seim bean, lablab bean, Egyptian kidney bean, Indian bean, bataw and Australian pea. It is the only species in the
monotypic genus Lablab.
It also contains a number of vitamin such vitamin A, B vitamins, and vitamin C. it also contains some minerals such copper, zinc, magnesium, phosphorus.
Its helps to loss weight, prevent cancer, promote immune system, maintain healthy digestion, reduce cholesterol, improve cardiovascular health, ease asthma, enhance mood, improve brain function and treat insomnia, sore throat etc.
Broad beans or Hyacinth beans stuffed with coconut and poppy seeds. Very easy to make yet delicious. Goes well with steamed rice.
You don’t need to saute fry or spend long hours in kitchen. You can prepare the stuffing and stuff the beans one day before and refrigerate. Just steam before meal time.
Recipe credit goes to my sister in law law Kajol. We love to talk about different recipes. And she has huge ideas and recipes. I never miss any of her recipe. Tried her every recipes and loved them. Thanks a lot Kajol for this awesome recipe.
If you love poppy seeds and coconut like me then its perfect for you.
You don’t need much spices to make it. You need only mustard oil, green chilli, coconut, poppy seeds, salt and sugar. Now have a look on the recipe.
Broad beans – 250 gram
Mustard oil – 2 tablespoon
Green chilli – 4 – 5 to garnish
Chilli flakes to garnish, optional
One medium sized banana leaf
Coconut – 1 cup, grated or finely chopped
Poppy seeds or khaskhas – 4 tablespoon
Green chilli – 2 – 3
Oil – 2 teaspoon
Salt to taste
Sugar to taste
1. Wash and pat dry the broad beans or Hyacinth beans.
2. Cut the both tips and pull off the strings from the edges of both sides.
Carefully open from one side. See the picture below for method.
3. Soak the poppy seeds in hot water or microwave for one minute on full power with water to soak. Soak for 15 – 30 minutes for easy grinding.
4. Grind the soaked poppy seeds and green chilli. Add grated coconut in the grinder. Grind again and make a smooth paste.
5. Heat 2 teaspoon oil in a pan. Add the poppy seeds, coconut and green chilli paste, salt and sugar in it.
6. Saute till the mixture dried up completely.
Let it cool down.
7. Stuff the beans with this mixture.
8. Place a cleaned and washed banana leaf on the steamer basket. Arrange the stuffed beans over it.
9. Spread the remaining stuffing and 2 tablespoon mustard oil.
Place few green chillies. Sprinkle little red chilli flakes. Red chilli flakes is optional. I have sprinkled to add some colour. You can omit it if you want.
10. Pour 2 cup of water in the steamer. Place the steamer basket over it.
11. Cover and steam for 20 – 25 minutes or until the beans become tender.
Serve hot with steamed rice.
1. Use fresh coconut to make it.
2. Add little sugar to enhance the taste.
3. You can saute the stuffing with any oil but don’t forget to sprinkle mustard oil for perfect taste and flavour.
4. Remove the strings from beans carefully before cooking.
5. Use chillies according to your taste.
I would love to hear from you. Please share your thoughts and suggestions in comment.
Please visit my facebook page and hit the like button to get the latest update.
Stay connected at