Dim kosha or spicy flavorful egg curry from Bengali cuisine. A rich and thick curry, best accompany with steamed rice pulao, puri, naan or any bread. Easy to make and delectable taste.
Posting after a short break. Hope you will like the recipe. I had served this delicious dim kosha or spicy egg curry with Saffron rice .
Eggs are a very good source of inexpensive, high-quality protein. More than half the protein of an egg is found in the egg white, which also includes vitamin B2 and lower amounts of fat than the yolk. Eggs are rich sources of selenium, vitamin D, B6, B12 and minerals such as zinc, iron and copper. A study published in Paediatrics magazine has suggested that giving young children just one egg a day for six months, alongside a diet with reduced sugar-sweetened foods, may help them achieve a healthy height and prevent stunting. Source
You may like some more dishes with eggs on this blog. Click on the name below for recipe.
8. Egg pulao
Happy to post for our bloghop group again after more than a month. This week 273 #Foodiemonday bloghop theme is My Family Favorite recipe suggested by Priya Vijaykrishnan who blog at Sweet Spicy Tasty. A perfect blog name. You can get many wonderful savoury, sweet, spicy, healthy, authentic, innovative and mouthwatering recipes on her blog. I have bookmarked her different types of lipsmacking chutneys and Date coconut microwave laddu to try.
As I mentioned above recipe is very easy to make. Fry the salt, turmeric powder marinated hard boiled and peeled eggs. Don’t forget to make a few slit on the eggs. I had used mustard oil, you can use any oil but this curry taste best with mustard oil. If you don’t like to use green cardamom, cloves and cinnamon, then you can use 1 teaspoon panch phoran for tempering. To make panch phoran or five spice mix 1 tablespoon each nigella seed or kalonji, cumin seeds or jeera, mustard seeds or sarso, fennel seeds or sounf and 1/2 tablespoon fenugreek seeds or methi. I also make dim kosha with panch phoran for a change. But this dim kosha with crushed whole spices is aromatic and more delicious.
Eggs – 4, boiled and peeled
Onion – 1 large, thinly sliced
Ginger garlic paste – 1 tablespoon
Tomato – 1 ,finely chopped
Great chilli – 2 – 3, slit
Green cardamom – 3
Cloves – 3
Cinnamon – 1/2 inch piece
Dry red chilli – 1
Bay leaf – 1
Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon + 1/4 teaspoon
Cumin powder – 1 teaspoon
Coriander powder – 1 teaspoon
Kashmiri red chilli powder – 2 teaspoon
Garam masala powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Sugar – 1/2 teaspoon or to taste, optional
Salt to taste
Tomato ketchup – 1/2 tablespoon
Mustard oil – 3 – 4 tablespoon
Water – 1 cup
1. Make some slit on the hard boiled eggs. Marinate the eggs with little salt and 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder. You can also add little red chilli powder. I didn’t.
2. Crush green cardamom, cinnamon and cloves in a mortar pestle.
3. Heat oil in a pan. Fry the eggs till golden brown from all the sides.
4. Remove the eggs from oil and place on a plate.
5. Add bay leaf, dry red chilli and crushed cardamom, cinnamon and cloves in the same oil.
6. Now add sliced onion. Fry till onion starts to change it’s colour.
7. Add ginger garlic paste and fry for a minute. Add chopped tomato, salt, cumin powder, coriander powder, turmeric
8. Now add tomato sauce and stir. Add water and mix well. When water starts to boil add the eggs and slit green chili. Add sugar if using. Mix well.
9. Cover and reduce the heat. Cook on simmer for 7 – 8 minutes. Remove the cover and cook on high heat until gravy becomes thick. Add garam masala and mix. Taste and adjust the salt. Mix and remove from heat.
10. Garnish with cilantro or coriander leaves. Serve with roti, puri, naan, paratha, steamed rice, jeera rice or pulao.
1. You can add peeled, cubed and fried potato in curry if you want.
2. Use chilli according to your taste.
3. You can also use 1 teaspoon panch phoran instead of crushed whole spices for tempering or tadka.
If you tried my recipe, you can share your food pictures with me in the social network sites by using hashtag, #batterupwithsujata
I would love to see your creations.
I would love to hear from you. Please share your thoughts and suggestions in comment.
Please visit my facebook page and hit the like button to get the latest update