Crispy bitter gourd and potato or aloo karela. Crispy but cooked with only one teaspoon oil in halogen oven. You can also use your microwave or OTG to bake or grill the karela and potato in the same way. Or use your air fryer to fry with less oil. An easy to make yet delicious no onion garlic bitter gourd recipe.
Bitter gourd has numerous health benefits.
Bitter gourd is a rich source of vitamins and minerals. It contains iron, magnesium, potassium and vitamins like A and C. It contains twice the calcium of spinach and beta-carotene of broccoli. Various anti-oxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds are present in bitter gourd.
It also helps in lowering the bad cholesterol levels, thus reducing the risk of heart disease and stroke. That’s not all. It strengthens the immune system, improves respiratory health, boosts skin health and contains anti-ageing properties. Source
You may like some more bitter gourd recipes on this blog.
And some more recipes using halogen oven.
3. Greek pizza
4. Beetroot dip
This week our 262 #Foodiemonday bloghop theme is Bitter But Good suggested by Sasmita who blog at First Timer Cook. You will definitely love her mouthwatering recipes. I would love to try her Dalgona muffins and also visit her YouTube channel for beautiful and heavenly Layered coffee panna cotta and many more.
Recipe is very easy to make. Slice the potato and bitter gourd and boil with salted water till fork tender. Drain the water completely and marinate with salt and spices. I have used coriander powder, turmeric powder, Kashmiri red chili powder and little garam masala with salt. You can use any spices of your choice. I don’t like bitter gourd dishes hot so used Kashmiri red chilli powder for colour. You can use hot variety red chilli powder or black pepper powder if you like. You can also add amchur or dry mango powder if you want. And use very little oil to spray over marinated potato and bitter gourd before baking. You can use olive oil or any other oil of your choice.
Karela or bitter gourd – 1 large
Potato – 1
Salt to taste
Coriander or dhania powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
Kashmiri red chilli powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Garam masala powder – 1/4 teaspoon
Oil – 1 teaspoon
1. Peel and chop the potato into round slices.
2. Discard the both tips and chop the bitter gourd or karela into round slices.
3. Wash well and drain the water.
4. Boil the karela and potato slices with 1 cup water and 1/2 teaspoon salt for 4 minutes or till fork tender. Don’t make mushy. Check with a knife or fork.
5. Drain the water and let it cool down. Marinate karela and potato slices with little salt, coriander powder, turmeric powder, garam masala powder and Kashmiri red chilli powder.
6. Spread the slices on a baking sheet. Spray little oil all over it.
7. Press the speed up button. Set temperature at 200° and set the timer for 5 minutes. Keep an eye if the slices becomes golden brown switch off the oven.
8. Turn the slices upside down and cook again at 200° temperature for 4 minutes or till golden brown. If require cook for a few minutes more.
9. If you are using microwave convection mode or OTG follow the same method. Sprinkle little chaat masala powder before serving if you like. Serve with rice or roti as a side dish.
1. You can use any spices of your choice.
2. Red chilli powder or black pepper powder can be used instead of Kashmiri red chilli powder.
3. You can use any oven to make this crispy bitter gourd.
4. You can use chaat masala or amchur/ dry mango powder if you like your karela little tangy.
If you tried my recipe, you can share your food pictures with me in the social network sites by using hashtag, #batterupwithsujata I would love to see your creations.
I would love to hear from you. Please share your thoughts and suggestions in comment.
Please visit my facebook page and hit the like button to get the latest update