Focaccia with whole wheat and soya bean flour.
Yes didn’t use refined flour in it. Tried to make a healthy bread for kids. And very happy with the taste. Its really delicious.
Focaccia is a flat oven-baked Italian bread product similar in style and texture to pizza doughs. It may be topped with herbs or other ingredients.
I have used soya bean flour in it which makes the bread protein rich.
Soy flour is derived from roasted soybeans finely grounded into a powder. It is a rich source of proteins, as well as iron, B vitamins and calcium, and it adds a pleasant texture and flavor to a variety of products, according to SoyFoods.com.
Soy flour may reduce the risk of heart disease. In 1999, the FDA authorized the link between soy protein and reduced risk of coronary heart disease to be used on food labels. The FDA concluded that including soy protein in a diet low in saturated fat and cholesterol may reduce the risk of coronary heart disease by lowering blood cholesterol levels.
This focaccia is very easy to make. You can serve it with any sauce. I have served with marinara sauce.
I have sprinkle chopped cilantro or coriander leaves over it but you can use parsley, basil or any herb you have. You can spread generous amount of cheese over it while baking. Or spread some chopped onion, tomato, olive, bell peppers anything you like.
Use olive oil to get perfect taste.
Whole Wheat flour or atta – 2 cup
Soyabean flour – 1 cup
Yeast – 2 teaspoon
Sugar – 1 teaspoon
Salt – 2 teaspoon
Oil – 3 tablespoon + for greasing
Garlic powder – 1 – 2 teaspoon
Oregano – 2 teaspoon
Black pepper powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Cilantro or coriander leaves – 1 tablespoon, chopped
Red chilli flakes – 1 teaspoon
Water – 1 & 1/4 cup or as require to make a soft dough
1. Take 1 cup lukewarm water in a large bowl. Water should be just warm not hot.
2. Add 1 teaspoon sugar and 2 teaspoon yeast. Stir well to dissolve both.
Now keep it covered for 15 minutes or until the mixture bubbled up.
3. Add salt, oil, Oregano, garlic powder, black pepper powder and half of the flour. Mix well with a spoon. If you like strong garlic flavour use 2 teaspoon full. If not add 1 tablespoon.
4. Now add remaining flour and knead with hand. Knead well and add more water if require. Knead the dough for 8 to 10 minutes. You can use your food processor or stand mixer.
5. Smear the dough with some oil and cover. Allow the dough to leaven for 2 hours. If the weather is cold increase the time.
6. Take out the dough. It will be doubled.
Punch down the dough to remove the air.
7. Knead the dough again. Knead it on flour dusted surface. Knead till the dough becomes soft and elastic. You can add little more flour if require.
8. Take a square or rectangle baking pan. Grease it generously with olive oil.
9. Transfer the dough in greased pan. Press down the dough in baking pan. Make even layer of the size of baking pan with oil greased hand.
10. Keep the pan in the oven or on your kitchen counter for second rise for 30 minutes.
11. Preheat the oven at 200 degrees for 15 minutes.
12. Now make holes or dents on it using your all the finger tips. Drizzle olive oil over it.
13. Sprinkle red chilli flakes and chopped cilantro or coriander leaves all over it.
You can use parsley, basil, thyme whatever you have.
If you want you can sprinkle chopped onions, bell peppers, olives anything.
14. Bake in preheated oven for 25 – 30 minutes or until the top becomes light brown.
15. Let the focaccia cool down. Cut and serve warm or in room temperature.
I would love to hear from you. Please share your thoughts and suggestions in comment.
Please visit my facebook page and hit the like button to get the latest update.
Stay connected at