Happy Ganesh Chaturthi. May God bless you all 🙏 Celebrating 5th year blog anniversary. Thanks to all my readers for your love support and encouragement. 5 years with 500 posts, its possible because of you. Thanks a lot to everyone.
Oats date dry fruits modak. Not authentic but a super healthy sweet for health conscious people. Sugar free and low calorie delicious modak made with reduced skimmed milk, oats, dates and dry fruits. Sweetened with natural sweetener dates and raisins only. A healthy treat for kids and adults both.
You can make modak by using modak mould or shape with your hand or make barfi or fudge. I have made modak using modak mould. You can easily shape them into modak with your hands. And used my sandesh mould to shape remaining mixture.
Earlier shared three more modak recipes.
I have used gluten free oats to make these modak. Oats are among the healthiest grains on earth. Many studies have shown that the beta-glucan fiber in oats is effective at Oats are an incredibly nutritious food packed with important vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. In addition, they’re high in fiber and protein compared to other grains. Oats contain some unique components — in particular, the soluble fiber beta-glucan and antioxidants called avenanthramides. Benefits include lower blood sugar and cholesterol levels, protection against skin irritation and reduced constipation. In addition, they are very filling and have many properties that should make them a weight loss friendly food. At the end of the day, oats are among the healthiest foods you can eat. To read more benefits of oats click here.
Earlier shared some oats recipes on this blog. Get the recipes here.
Modak sweetened with dates.
Dates boast an impressive nutrient profile but are quite sweet. Yet, they’re packed with fiber, which helps your body absorb its sugars more slowly. When eaten in moderation, they’re a safe and healthy choice for people with diabetes. Source
According to experts, diabetics can also benefit from the high fiber content of dates. It is okay to eat 2-3 dates a day for diabetics so long as they exercise caution and maintain healthy eating habits overall. Source
So diabetic people can also enjoy these modak but in moderation. You may like some more recipes with dates on this blog. Click on the name below for recipe.
Sending this post to 261 #Foodiemonday bloghop theme is Milky Way suggested by Swaty Malik who blog at Food Trails. Swaty suggested to share recipes with any form of milk. I am sharing a recipe with khoya/mawa or reduced milk. Swaty has a wonderful blog with many mouthwatering and healthy recipes. You will definitely love her Ganesh Chaturthi special recipes. And I also bookmarked her super healthy Oats jaggery laddu to try. Do visit her space for many more recipes.
I have used almond, cashew nuts and raisins but you can use any dry fruits of your choice. You can also stuff the modak with chopped dry fruits. If you want your modak more sweet add 5-6 dates and 2 tablespoon more raisins. We like mild sweetness so its perfectly sweet for me. Soak the dates and raisins in hot milk or boil with milk and you have to dry roast the oats and dry fruits only. Blend or grind everything and saute the mixture for few minutes. Let it cool down and shape them into modak, laddu or use any mould of your choice. Or you can spread the mixture on a greased plate when hot, level with a spatula, let it cool down and cut into your desired shape to make barfi or fudge. I have made some modak using modak mould and used my sandesh mould to shape remaining mixture.
Video recipe of this healthy and delicious modak 👇
Rolled Oats – 1 cup
Almond – 1/4 cup
Cashew nuts – 2 tablespoon
Dates – 3/4 cup, pitted and chopped
Raisins – 2 tablespoon
Milk – 1/4 cup
Khoya/mawa or reduced milk – 3/4 cup
Desiccated coconut – 1/2 cup
Green cardamom – 3 – 4
Rose essence – 1/4 teaspoon
1. In a pan heat 1/4 cup milk with pitted and chopped dates and raisins. When milk starts to boil switch off the heat and keep aside to cool down.
2. Dry roast the almond and cashew nuts for 2 – 3 minutes. Nuts shouldn’t be burned.
3. In a pan dry roast the oats till light brown. Transfer the roasted oats on a plate and let it cool down.
4. Take out the seeds of the cardamom. I have small sized cardamom so used 4. Add the seeds in boiled milk date raisin mixture. Don’t discard the peel. You can add these in tea for lovely flavour.
5. Grind roasted almonds and cashew nuts into a fine powder.
6. Grind roasted oats and keep aside.
7. Now blend milk soaked dates and raisins with cardamom seeds in your mixer grinder or food processor. Add khoya/mawa or reduced milk. I have used homemade khoya or mawa. Get the recipe here. Add 2-3 tablespoon milk for easy blending. Blend everything well till smooth.
8. Heat a heavy bottom or nonstick pan. Add blended milk mixed date, raisins, cardamom seeds and desiccated coconut. Saute for 2 minutes. You can also grind or blend the desiccated coconut with dates, I didn’t.
9. Add ground oats, almonds and cashew nuts. Mix well. Keep stirring. Cook till mixture comes together and becomes like a dough. Remove from heat and let it cool down.
10. Mash the mixture well to make smooth. Make balls and shape them using modak moulds or shape with your hands. Or you can make laddu or use any moulds. Or spread the mixture on a greased plate when hot. Level with a spatula or spoon and cut into your desired shape when cool to make barfi or fudge. I have made some modak and shaped remaining dough with my sandesh mould.
11. Sprinkle desiccated coconut over the modak. This step is optional. Your delicious nutritious and aromatic modak is ready to serve.
Stay happy stay healthy stay safe!
1. If you want your modak more sweet use 5-6 dates and 2 tablespoon more raisins.
2. You can stuff the modak with chopped dry fruits.
3. Pistachio or any dry fruits can be used with almond, raisins and cashew nuts.
If you tried my recipe, you can share your food pictures with me in the social network sites by using hashtag, #batterupwithsujata I would love to see your creations.
I would love to hear from you. Please share your thoughts and suggestions in comment.
Please visit my facebook page and hit the like button to get the latest update