Oats, whole wheat flour or atta, carom seeds or ajwain crackers with olive oil. Crispy crunchy delicious and healthy snacks for your munching time. A super easy recipe made with very few ingredients. Perfect for vegan people.
You can use any gluten free flour like cornmeal, millet flour instead of whole wheat flour to make the crackers gluten free. If you don’t like the flavour of carom or ajwain then you can use fennel seeds or sounf, cumin seeds or jeera, nigella seeds or kalonji, kasuri methi, oregano, rosemary, thyme or any seeds or herbs. Use the flavour according to your taste. Instead of adding in the dough you can sprinkle the seeds or herbs on crackers. Brush the crackers with oil or water and sprinkle seeds or herbs of your choice.
Monday again and this week’s 244 #Foodiemonday bloghop theme is Snack Mania suggested by Renu. Renu wants some cupboard snacks for the theme which we can store. I am sharing this super healthy, crispy, crunchy and delicious carom crackers.
Renu is a very talented blogger. Visit her space for wonderful recipes. She has a vast collection of mouthwatering recipes. I already bookmarked her Buckwheat sweet potato pancakes and Herb roasted chickpeas to try.
As I mentioned above you can use any seeds or herbs of your choice. I have added the seeds in the dough but you can also sprinkle the seeds on the top of the crackers. Brush with little oil or water and sprinkle the ajwain or any seeds or herbs. Choice is your. You can skip chilli flakes if you don’t like or use freshly crushed black pepper instead.
Whole wheat flour or atta – 1/2 cup
Oatmeal – 1/2 cup
Salt – 1/2 teaspoon
Baking powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Carom seeds or ajwain – 1/2 teaspoon
Chilli flakes – 1/4 teaspoon, optional
Olive oil – 3 tablespoon
Water – 1/4 cup
1. Grind the oats into fine powder.
2. In a bowl add whole wheat flour or atta, oats powder, salt, baking powder, carom seeds or ajwain, chilli flakes, and olive oil. See notes for more options.
3. Mix well. Taste and add 1/4 teaspoon more salt if require. I didn’t. For me 1/2 teaspoon is perfect.
4. Add water 1 tablespoon at a time and knead into a smooth and pliable dough. Dough shouldn’t be sticky. Cover and keep aside for 30 minutes.
5. Preheat the oven at 190° for 10 minutes.
6. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
7. Knead the dough again. And roll the dough as thin as possible.
8. Cut into square or rectangular pieces with a knife or pizza cutter. Or use cookie cutter and cut into your desired shape. Prick the pieces with a fork.
9. Arrange the pieces on lined baking sheet.
10. Bake in preheated oven at 190° for 12-15 minutes or until the crackers become light brown. Don’t over bake.Take out the baking sheet when crackers starts to change it’s colour. Let the crackers cool down.
11. Serve with any dip or with tea or coffee as a snack. Or store in a airtight container for later use.
1. Fennel seeds, kasuri methi, cumin seeds, nigella seeds, oregano, rosemary or any other seeds or herbs can be used instead of carom seeds or ajwain. You can also use spices of your choice and make spicy crackers.
2. You can use any vegetable oil instead of olive oil.
3. Any flour can be used instead of oatmeal. You can also make it with only whole wheat flour or all purpose flour/maida.
4. Any gluten free flour can be used instead of whole wheat flour or atta.
5. Red chilli flakes is optional, you can skip it or you can also use freshly crushed black pepper instead.
If you tried my recipe, you can share your food pictures with me in the social network sites by using hashtag, #batterupwithsujata I would love to see your creations.
I would love to hear from you. Please share your thoughts and suggestions in comment.
Please visit my facebook page and hit the like button to get the latest update