Mango jackfruit or aam kathal. A lipsmackingly delicious no onion garlic dry curry to serve as a side dish. Tanginess of raw mango and flavour of mustard made this curry absolutely delicious.
A completely gluten free and vegan side dish. You have to boil the jackfruit pieces with salt and turmeric. You can do it in advance and keep in refrigerator to make it quickly. Earlier shared Kathal paneer kofta with raw jackfruit.
Raw jackfruit is not only delicious but also very nutritious.
While the health benefits of the ripe jackfruit have been detailed time and again, we often underestimate the goodness that is packed in the raw jackfruit! Popularly known as kathal, it is not just sumptuous but offers a staggering nutritional profile. Let’s take a look at why you should be digging in. 1. High in protein
3. Boost immunity
4. Aids heart health
5. A Great Meat Substitute
To read more about health benefits of raw jackfruit click here.
And vitamin C enriched raw mango made this jackfruit curry lipsmacking. Sending this post to A to Z challenge, a challenge initiated on Facebook Group, created by Jolly and Vidya. Wherein a group of bloggers come together and we choose key ingredients alphabetically to cook and post a dish every month. This month’s Alphabet is letter M. Sharing this mango jackfruit dry curry for letter M.
I love this easy to make dry curry. Don’t try to make it in less oil. Mango and raw jackfruit should be fried well. So use 3 to 4 tablespoon. Better to use mustard oil. You can use any oil but mustard oil will give better taste. I have used mustard powder, you can also use mustard seeds. Soak the seeds in little water and grind into a fine paste. Boil the jackfruit with salt and turmeric till fork tender. Don’t make jackfruit mushy.
Video recipe of this lipsmackingly delicious aam kathal
Kathal or raw jackfruit – 250 gram,cubed
Raw mango – 1
Ginger paste – 1 teaspoon
Mustard seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
Dry red chilli – 2
Mustard powder – 1 & 1/2 tablespoon
Salt to taste
Sugar to taste
Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Mustard oil – 3 – 4 tablespoon
Kashmiri red chilli powder – 2 teaspoon
1. Boil the jackfruit with water, salt and turmeric powder. Boil till fork tender. Jackfruit pieces shouldn’t be mushy. Drain the water and keep aside.
2. Soak mustard powder in 3 tablespoon water.
3. Cut the mango in big pieces. Make half lengthwise. Discard the seed and cut each half into 4 pieces.
4. Heat mustard oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds and dry red chilli.
5. Add raw mango pieces. Fry till mango change it’s colour.
6. Add soaked mustard powder, ginger paste, Kashmiri red chilli powder and sugar. Mix well.
7. Add boiled jackfruit pieces and salt. Fry till jackfruit pieces becomes light brown. Stir constantly.
8. Taste and adjust salt. Your delicious aam kathal is ready. Serve with roti, paratha, naan puri or dal chawal.
1. Soaked and ground mustard seeds can be used instead of mustard powder. Or grind the mustard seeds with 1/4 teaspoon salt into fine powder. Add 4 tablespoon water and blend again to make smooth paste.
2. Break the dry red chilli while adding in oil to make the curry spicy.
If you tried my recipe, you can share your food pictures with me in the social network sites by using hashtag, #batterupwithsujata. I would love to see your creations.
I would love to hear from you. Please share your thoughts and suggestions in comment.
Please visit my facebook page and hit the like button to get the latest update Facebook page