Chhena poda or baked cottage cheese cake.
Yes a cake but you don’t need flour or baking powder to make it.
Chhena poda is a dessert made of cottage cheese from Odisha. Its literally means roasted cheese in Odia language.
Its a very delicious baked dessert, made of fresh cottage cheese or chhena/paneer sugar, cardamom, cashew nuts and raisins. Flavour of cardamom and caramelised sugar made this dessert heavenly.
This week’s 122nd #Foodiemonday bloghop theme is #Odiacuisine.
My contribution is this delicious chhena poda. Adopted the recipe from my fellow blogger and a dear friend Alka Jena who blog at
Visit her blog for many amazing recipes. Thanks Alka for the suggestions.
To make this chhena poda or baked cottage cheese better use homemade fresh cottage cheese or paneer. Its very easy to make. Just blend cottage cheese, sugar, cardamom powder, little milk or whey, cashew nuts and raisins till smooth and bake with caramelised sugar syrup.
Paneer or cottage cheese – 2 cup, crumbled
Sugar – 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoon
Cardamom powder – 1 teaspoon
Cashew nuts – 2 tablespoon
Raisins – 2 tablespoon
Milk or whey – 4 tablespoon
Ghee or butter for greasing
Sugar for caramelization
Pistachio to garnish
1. Preheat the oven at 180°.
2. Fry cashew nuts and raisins lightly.
3. Blend paneer or cottage cheese, sugar and cardamom powder. Mix well.
4. Add milk or remaining whey of paneer. Blend till the mixture becomes smooth. Taste and adjust sugar if required. I like less sweet.
5. Add fried cashew nuts and raisins. Mix well.
6. Grease a baking pan with ghee or butter. Spread 1 tablespoon sugar and heat the pan till sugar caramelise.
When sugar caramelised switch off the flame.
7. Tilt the pan to spread the caramelised syrup all over the base.
8. Pour the paneer mixture over it.
Spread evenly with a spoon or spatula.
9. Bake in a preheated oven at 180° for 35 – 45 minutes.
10. To check insert a toothpick in the middle. If the toothpick comes out clean chhena poda is ready.
11. Take out the pan when hot and invert it on a plate to take out.
If it becomes cold sugar syrup at base will be hard and it will be difficult to come out intact.
12. Garnish with pistachio. Serve delicious chhena poda or baked cottage cheese hot or cold.
I would love to hear from you. Please share your thoughts and suggestions in comment.
Please visit my facebook page and hit the like button to get the latest update.
Stay connected at